Kettle elements

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Kettle elements

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 pm

IIRC when i bought and fitted the same or similar elements (2 x) in my 67l PP hlt, they did not come with power leads..

as far as the elements are concerned @ 1.5kw and in a similar shape/size to 2.2kw and 2.4kw elements fitted in (non budget) kettles, they are perhaps a cheap LWD option ;) i would only simmer occasionally in the hlt and only for 20-25 minutes to remove temp hardness for a particular mash but in a hard water area i would only suffer a light dusting of calcium which would wipe off pretty easily..

I brewed at least 16 times with em before passing on the brewery and building bigger and shiny, and they brewed a few more brews with thier net owner before i lost track..

I would recommend them. fyi i powered 2 x (3kw) via a single 13a socket via a pid/ssr combo..

Mine arrived with a gasket and screws suitable for fitting in a thin metal skin pot/kettle. in order to use with my thicker walled plastic bucket i used a razor to remove the thickest face from the gasket and used what i had left to sit the gasket in the hole and used the thinner face on the bucket inside to seal, I may have also needed to get 2 x longer screws, but if you do that be careful as if u use too long a screw you can push into the electrical contacts or insulation when tightening up.. i think i shaved the gasket rather than hacksaw and file longer screws but it was a while back..

the plastic shroud is a simple cheap shell with no substance or power cord gripping capacity leaving that to the friction fit on the terminals of the sprung connectors but what more do you need, its splash proof and more importantly finger proof. Just check leads are rated suitably as said above and pushed well home, and If you need to adjust the pots position ( bring valve to shelf end for example) double check the leads remain fully plugged in..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil

Post by Fil » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 pm

IIRC when i bought and fitted the same or similar elements (2 x) in my 67l PP hlt, they did not come with power leads..

as far as the elements are concerned @ 1.5kw and in a similar shape/size to 2.2kw and 2.4kw elements fitted in (non budget) kettles, they are perhaps a cheap LWD option ;) i would only simmer occasionally in the hlt and only for 20-25 minutes to remove temp hardness for a particular mash but in a hard water area i would only suffer a light dusting of calcium which would wipe off pretty easily..

I brewed at least 16 times with em before passing on the brewery and building bigger and shiny, and they brewed a few more brews with thier net owner before i lost track..

I would recommend them. fyi i powered 2 x (3kw) via a single 13a socket via a pid/ssr combo..

Mine arrived with a gasket and screws suitable for fitting in a thin metal skin pot/kettle. in order to use with my thicker walled plastic bucket i used a razor to remove the thickest face from the gasket and used what i had left to sit the gasket in the hole and used the thinner face on the bucket inside to seal, I may have also needed to get 2 x longer screws, but if you do that be careful as if u use too long a screw you can push into the electrical contacts or insulation when tightening up.. i think i shaved the gasket rather than hacksaw and file longer screws but it was a while back..

the plastic shroud is a simple cheap shell with no substance or power cord gripping capacity leaving that to the friction fit on the terminals of the sprung connectors but what more do you need, its splash proof and more importantly finger proof. Just check leads are rated suitably as said above and pushed well home, and If you need to adjust the pots position ( bring valve to shelf end for example) double check the leads remain fully plugged in..

some very old pics

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 am

Food for thought thete fil cheers mine will never be used to boil a max of 80 c
So i could get a suitable cable wire it into a lego brick then feed off into a male commando plug to stop any chance of melting and house all in a plastic box over kill slightly

Fil

Post by Fil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:16 am

btw iirc its a 38mm hole you want to fit these see my pics above the motorcycle tax disk holder used to patch the 40mm hole for the earlier blown ex budget kettle element is clearly evident ;) the 'new' 1.5kw elements were just a tad too small to fit and seal in the 40mm hole.

unless you already have commando sockets to supply your brew day power i think a commando plug may be overkill and in my limited experience with them unless your using 2.5mm sq and larger flex, they can be a pita to grip the flex without additional padding within grip fitting, if you have doubts about moulded on 13a plugs buy a high load rubber plug and fit it to the lead, but if you have a cable failure from a suitable cable sourced from within the EU you will have recourse for any damages suffered so i doubt anyone other than a seller from outside the EU would risk selling you sub par kettle leads, Just dont be tempted to use any old pc. monitor or printer leads.

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:00 am

No ill be buying from one the big uk home brew sellers or the website listed in this thread then of it fails then i have recourse. I will be using it on an extension tho.