Immersion chiller tap connector

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Immersion chiller tap connector

Post by sbond10 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Got one of these for christmas

https://www.northernbrewer.com/cold-cra ... on-chiller

It appears to be 10mm copper pipe and the pvc tube appears of similiar i/d. Ive slipped the pvc tube on buts obs this wont go onto a standard hoselock quick connect, so just wonder what my options where. It comes with a metal hose tail designed to fit onto american faucets and will accept a 26mm male fitting.
Anyone any suggestions

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: Immersion chiller tap connector

Post by chefgage » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:04 pm

This is what i did with mine
20171227_160346.jpg
I then made up two lengths of hose, one with a quick disconnect end to fit to the outside tap and another open ended one to go down the drain

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Im wondering if i could get a 26 mm male hose barb and summat similiar

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm

1/2" hose can be coaxed onto a length of 15mm od copper tube with the aid of a smear of washing up liquid and a mug of off the boil water to dunk the hose into to soften, long nosed pliers can be used to stretch the tube from the inside too if needed.. when secured with a jubilee clip or similar it will make a good solid seal connection.

I used end feed solder on fittings to ajoin my 10mm tube IC to 15mm tube for connecting to 1/2" hose but compression fittings or speed fit fittings could also be used..

you could also use 3/8" od pvc tube (aka siphon tube) to cut short lengths of 'padding' to slip over the 10mm tube and provide a wider diameter surface for your 1/2" tube to fit/seal over again when secured with a C or jubilee clip..

Also give your solution a good test by running the cold tap through at full pressure and stand on the output hose, your bound to do it sooner or later on a brewday and you need to know your IC will remain intact and not cast off a loose water cannon off its input leg when the water pressure builds..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 am

Ive already got the pvc tube onto the copper as shown in pic its how i connect the pvc pipe to a standard hose pipe is the bit im struggling with at the minute as the pvc pipe is simplly too small for a normall hose pipe

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am

Fil wrote:Also give your solution a good test by running the cold tap through at full pressure and stand on the output hose, your bound to do it sooner or later on a brewday and you need to know your IC will remain intact and not cast off a loose water cannon off its input leg when the water pressure builds..
Fill your advice is normally impeccable but there is a potential issue dependant on the tubing used (and how on the ball the brewer is, not so much in my case!).
The picture below shows what happened to my Speidel chiller this summer. I must have had a kink in the actual garden hose after the chiller, which caused the tubing to come loose from a build up of pressure; I thought at the time this was actually due to the tubing being loosened/stretched on tge previous brew when my brew buddy had the tap on full flow so put the yellow clamps on. This actually resulted in the connecting tubing blowing up like a balloon before bursting! Luckily we were brewing outside and noone was hurt but definitely a lesson learnt. I now never turn the flow up high for the first couple of minutes until the temperature has dropped a bit.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Think ive worked as if i get a hose adaptor male thread i can screw it in as a replacement to a faucet then put a quick connect on this.

Just gonna go to local hardware shop and try to figure what will fit onto the 26mm thread

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Ouch!! point taken Foob4r.. as i used garden hose with re-enforcement I just got a facefull of water when the pressure finally pushed off the #1 attempt of a not so solidly retained feed hose, it happened when i incorrectly selected a length of hose in which a colony of something had crawled into to die to clog it..

stood like a fool starring at the dry exit hose end puzzled, a quick glance over to the kettle was met with a full in the face blast of cold water as it shot over the top of the kettle with the force of all the built up pressure.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Yeah I was a bit of an idiot too, the exit pipe came off twice before I clamped it down so hard it had nowhere to go. I did try and replace it with some super reinforced garden hosepipe but it wasn't a good fit, I think I will pick up some reinforced PVC tubing though just to add a bit of extra security.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Sorted today bpught a 3/4 male thread screw in adaptor witg a 1/2 inch quick disconnect nipple and a wrap of ptfe tape