3 Litre Conical Flasks

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
shepp

3 Litre Conical Flasks

Post by shepp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 am

Just a heads up to some really cheap conical flasks available, someone on the other forum enquired if the company could get some of this size and they just happened to have some in stock.

https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/glass-c ... -3000ml-be

IPA
Under the Table

Re: 3 Litre Conical Flasks

Post by IPA » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:22 am

shepp wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 am
Just a heads up to some really cheap conical flasks available, someone on the other forum enquired if the company could get some of this size and they just happened to have some in stock.

Strange that they say it must not be heated by direct contact with a flame ! All of mine can be heated on a gas hob.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:34 am

"These flasks can be heated - but please avoid flames touching the glass by using a fine wire gauze between the heat source and the glass."

I thought that was the standard recommendation for borosilicate glass usage?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 am

I managed to crack a 2L after many direct moderate heatings. I had a lump of undissolved DME on the bottom. I use wire gauze now but I don't know if that would have prevented it.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

FermentedCulture

Post by FermentedCulture » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 am

Their beakers aren't a bad price either, I use the 250ml one on a low heat small ringed hob to bloom gelatin for fining.

I have some of their erlenmeyer flasks from an ebay seller, one cracked at the mouth after putting a funnel into it so handle with care. The others have one or two air pockets in the glass. Also not that it matters, but they aren't very uniform in shape either.

shepp

Post by shepp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 am

I have a 2 litre flask from them, which I have heated on a camping stove, it has been fine so far.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 pm

shepp wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered one! I have 2l and 1l flasks already. 2l is OK for 1-1.2l starters (my usual size) but the 1l isn't much use for anything tbh. A 3l will be just the ticket for big starters.