Insulation suggestons for BIAB mash kettle/pan

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Insulation suggestons for BIAB mash kettle/pan

Post by Meatymc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Having had to ditch my convoluted plans for a 2nd larger pan with heating controls I'm back to trying to reduce the times I have to check the temperature mid-mash. As things stand I cover the pan with whatever I can find - 2 or 3 winter coats seems to do as well as owt else but it still means uncovering it and opening it up to take a reading - I'm told, at 33L, the pan curvature is too great to fit the usual gauge.

I'm looking at getting a long probe digital thermometer (seen them at up to 30cm) for which I'm going to drill a suitable hole in the lid and fix in place once to mash temp' so I can at least keep an eye on the temp whilst covered up.

Am looking at cylinder jackets etc - any more ideas? Please bear in mind it will have to be removed at least partially if I do need to heat up the wort - I'm brewing with bottled gas in an unheated garage (windows, doors etc wide open obviously). Have no problems maintaining temp in Summer but it's a different kettle of fish over Winter.

Any thoughts?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Insulation suggestons for BIAB mash kettle/pan

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am

A couple of these mats from Tesco would do the job. They can easily be cut to size and bits can be cut out to allow for taps or elements. Wrap them round your mash tun and hold them in place with a suitably sized 'bunjee' strap

Guy

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Bubble wrap, foil bubble insulation, closed cell foam all should do the job as should a duvet and a sleeping bag. I brew in the shed and lose about 3 degrees over the course of a mash

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Have you thought of a RIMS/HERMS setup?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 pm

I would say just do as has been suggested. Another point to make is what is the mash tun sat on? It would be worth insulating the bottom as well, something like a neoprene mat at least.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 pm

chefgage wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 pm
It would be worth insulating the bottom as well, something like a neoprene mat at least.
Excellent point--and the lid as well!

Guy

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Do the Tesco mats work at boil temp? I have loads of silver thermawrap, does that have any issues at 100C ? Same principle : cut it to size and keep it in place with bungee cord

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Providing your not using fire to heat your boiler then camping mats or thermawrap should work otheerwise its either remove or use armaflex

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did look at a RIMS/HERMS set-up Orlando but until I can get out of the garage or I can get a more reliable power supply and plumbing in there I'd like to keep it simple so am going down the insulation route.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Meatymc wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:13 pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did look at a RIMS/HERMS set-up Orlando but until I can get out of the garage or I can get a more reliable power supply and plumbing in there I'd like to keep it simple so am going down the insulation route.
Step by step, fair enough. I went the same route as you, it can still make good beer but ultimately, when you get the power and plumbing, you will probably like the flexibility and wort clarity and not least, the control that RIMS/HERMS can give you.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm sure you're right Orlando and it is frustrating lacking basics like on-hand power and water/drainage. It's likely we're digging up the drive this year to replace concrete with something a bit more pleasing on the eye so could be the opportunity I need to look at wiring and piping up!