Pump s

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Pump s

Post by sbond10 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Speaking to a friend who runs a local micro they have used the following pumps

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Centrifugal-Pe ... 0005.m1851

Abeit the 1hp verson now it doesnt list any where its food safe and its max temp range is 60 c but theyve used um for years with no effect running caustic cycles thru um. Just wondering if its worth the punt

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Pump s

Post by Fil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:43 pm

if thats your budget i would suggest a lil brown solar pump perhaps.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm

The Food Safety Agency wouldn't be too impressed with your friend, to be honest. I'd second a solar pump. They need to be primed first, but very handy. I got mine from here. Very reliable service 8)

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm

If you take the grease out and replace with food safe stuff then theres no real issue maybe ?

Thought solar pumps were no good for hot wort and couldnt be throttled bsck using a ball valve
Last edited by sbond10 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacant

Post by vacant » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm

What? First Review from that link:

"this is a nice compact pump that is good value for the price but i have found it not suitable for hot clean pool water as the body of the pump rusts, contaminating the water, ( rust colour water ). i have had to replace this pump with a bronze pump. this pump should be ok for light oil or similer liquid."

ISTR with plastics, "food safe" can't be made from general recycled plastic as they might have been used to store any number of toxic substances in their previous lives. Don't have a source for that, could be wrong.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:15 pm

vacant wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:03 pm
What? First Review from that link:

"this is a nice compact pump that is good value for the price but i have found it not suitable for hot clean pool water as the body of the pump rusts, contaminating the water, ( rust colour water ). i have had to replace this pump with a bronze pump. this pump should be ok for light oil or similer liquid."

ISTR with plastics, "food safe" can't be made from general recycled plastic as they might have been used to store any number of toxic substances in their previous lives. Don't have a source for that, could be wrong.
The 'elephant in the room', unfortunately.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I think ill skip this one then if it works for them then so be it but i wont risk it

Fil

Post by Fil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm
If you take the grease out and replace with food safe stuff then theres no real issue maybe ?

Thought solar pumps were no good for hot wort and couldnt be throttled bsck using a ball valve
while i control the speed of my lil brown pump via the power supply the solar project uk site which supplies them (and honours warranties for pumps used for brewing), does also state that post pump restriction via valve is a-ok ;)

they are not perfectly magnetically coupled and grain if in the pumped liquor can get into the drive shaft, which i can only imagine would lead to a failure? in practice mine (almost 10 yrs use) will on occasion need its head pulled so i can nudge its impeller to start it, but is still going strong..
not ideal solution but cheap and easy.

Fil

Post by Fil » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Fil wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm
sbond10 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm

while i control the speed of my lil brown pump via the power supply the solar project uk site which supplies them (and honours warranties for pumps used for brewing), does also state that post pump restriction via valve is a-ok ;)

re hot wort i use mine to recirculate the boil thru my hop spider to maximise hop utilisation when using a large volume hop spider.

they are not perfectly magnetically coupled and grain if in the pumped liquor can get into the drive shaft, which i can only imagine would lead to a failure? in practice mine (almost 10 yrs use) will on occasion need its head pulled so i can nudge its impeller to start it, but is still going strong..
not ideal solution but cheap and easy.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am

Sounds good may have to splash out on a proper solar pump rather than the cheap ebay jobs

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am

There's also the topsflo magdrive pumps, I think I paid around 30 quid for a 9lpm one if I recall correctly.

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Not worth scrimping on pumps in my experience, especially if being used for beer production (and even more so if the beer is to be sold)
better to buy a decent quality one thats designed for your requirements, theyre not that expensive.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

chris2012 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am
There's also the topsflo magdrive pumps, I think I paid around 30 quid for a 9lpm one if I recall correctly.

I asked about topflo pumps on this forum amd got told there rubbish no worth the money

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Interesting, I've used both topsflo and solar pumps

I'd be curious to hear what's rubbish about them

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:53 pm

I cant remember exatly but i was basically steering to more exspensive pumps