Pressure Barrel Pin Valve Leak Issues

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Boardmanphil
Tippler

Pressure Barrel Pin Valve Leak Issues

Post by Boardmanphil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out here as I’m stumped!

I have a gas leak from my King Keg Top Tap.

I’ve changed all the seals including the tap and also Vaselined everything.

The leak appears to be coming back out through the inlet pin that breaks the Co2 bulbs. But I’ve replaced the O’ring where the bulb touches, the pressure release, the big O’ring inside the cap and the small seal on the inside that ‘should’ prevent the Co2 coming back through the inlet pin.

But it still seams to be escaping quite rapidly.

Like I say I’m now stumped so if anyone else has had a similar problem, I’d love to hear how you fixed.

Many thanks,

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Pressure Barrel Pin Valve Leak Issues

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:20 pm

It has been a few years, but from memory: if you are correct that gas is coming back out of the hollow pin, then usually the small tubular-shaped rubber inlet seal on the bottom (inside-keg) part of the valve will be letting gas past. It may be perished or have dirt/scale preventing the seal; in some cases ice, but that is unlikely with the bulbs. Or the part of the valve that it seats against may be rough or damaged, in which case replacing the rubber doesn't help.

In some circumstances removing the bulb after use/injection can solve it. Presumably because the back-pressure that the bulb causes may partially defeat the inlet seal (the seal around the bulb neck itself was rarely very convincing in the ones I had).

If you are in doubt about the location of the leak, squirting/putting soapy liquid around the area can help show where the leak is. The excess pressure-release rubber (the larger tubular one on the outside of the valve) is quite close and can leak sometimes, as can the valve/cap seal.
Kev

Boardmanphil
Tippler

Post by Boardmanphil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 am

Hi, I’ve change the small inlet seal on the bottom and doesn’t seemed to have helped. Although I haven’t checked to see whether or not valve has become rough. At the moment it seems to be hold pressure better with the bulb in place as it creating a seal with the small O’ring. Once pressure is lost again I’ll take the cap off and inspect further. I hate opening it up all the time introducing to potential infection. Mind you this batch was doomed from the start with all the issues I’ve had with it, so I’ll be surprised if it’s ever going to drinkable

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:53 am

I had this problem once and it is caused by the seal on the gas in spigot. Some replacement seals are not long enough
and allow co2 to escape. Check that the seal is centred on the small hole were the gas flows into the keg.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Boardmanphil
Tippler

Post by Boardmanphil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am

Thank you I’ll check this also. Although from memory I think it was quite long. I guess it’s possible I haven’t fit it properly

techtone

Post by techtone » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Hopefully you have fixed it by now but if not, at what point does it start to leak? Is it after using a bulb? I'm not familiar with the king keg top tap but with the budget keg, if you use a bulb too early, when there is still too much beer or pressure, (i.e. nowhere for the extra gas to go) using a bulb can unseat the inlet rubber too much, causing it to leak.