Alkalinity meter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Alkalinity meter

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Having expanded my understanding of liquor treatment (thanks Eric and Wallybrew) I'm looking for a way of accurately measuring alkalinity.

The Salifert kit is OK, but it's a bit of a faff and a bit vague.

Anyone know of anything which works like a pH meter--waggle it in the liquid and an alkalinity reading in ppm shows up.

I know it's not critical to get all this right. Since using the Salifert kit and manipulating my calcium levels and SO4:Cl ratios my beer has really improved. But you know how it is, numbers are numbers and I like to get them exactly right!

Thanks.

Guy

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Alkalinity meter

Post by FUBAR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:20 pm

I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 am

An exact number is not important ... As Iron Maiden put it so eloquently "I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!!"

As far as it goes the Hanna meter works OK, but make sure you take a look at the cost of replacement reagets (~£35 the last time I heard it quoted from someone who has one!)

A 10% error in alkalinity is not going to kill a beer ... unless you are working from/to a "Spreadsheet" :whistle:

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am

A fellow brewer I know has a Hanna thing. We compared readings on a brewday from the Salifert and his meter, and they were within inches of each other. Coupled with the fact that I once tested a sample I sent to Wallybrew too, which also put the Salifert within a whisker of a lab reading, I would save the money myself. But if you just can't resist a gadget... :D
Busy in the Summer House Brewery