Anyone used "bouncer in-line beer filter"?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Cobnut

Anyone used "bouncer in-line beer filter"?

Post by Cobnut » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... ter-small/

Am curious about the above. Being a BIAB-er, I have a bit of a (perceived?) issue with trub transfer from boiler to fermenter and wonder whether this type of filter would help. Anyone got any experience of this product (or its' big brother) in this type of use?

My current approach is to use a bazooka filter on the outlet tap of my masher/boiler and let the wort rest for 30 mins ish before I drain into the fermenter. I do, though, see "murky" wort for the first few litres and the final few (mid-flow looks pretty clear).

Thanks.

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Re: Anyone used "bouncer in-line beer filter"?

Post by Bigbud78 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm

I use one to go from FV to keg and its awesome but im not sure how the little one would cope with a lot of hop material tbh. I've normally crashed cooled and i'm just trying to stop the small bits that block the poppets

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am

Cobnut wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... ter-small/

Am curious about the above. Being a BIAB-er, I have a bit of a (perceived?) issue with trub transfer from boiler to fermenter and wonder whether this type of filter would help. Anyone got any experience of this product (or its' big brother) in this type of use?

My current approach is to use a bazooka filter on the outlet tap of my masher/boiler and let the wort rest for 30 mins ish before I drain into the fermenter. I do, though, see "murky" wort for the first few litres and the final few (mid-flow looks pretty clear).

Thanks.
Both your bazooka and the proposed filter have the problem of a relatively small surface area. A bigger filter in the boiler may prove to be a much better solution.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

Bigbud78 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm
I use one to go from FV to keg and its awesome but im not sure how the little one would cope with a lot of hop material tbh. I've normally crashed cooled and i'm just trying to stop the small bits that block the poppets
I would respectfully suggest that if you have "small bits that block the poppets" in your finished beer you review your whole brewing process. Because this should not be happening.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am

IPA wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am
Bigbud78 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 pm
I would respectfully suggest that if you have "small bits that block the poppets" in your finished beer you review your whole brewing process. Because this should not be happening.
I would respectfully suggest you re-read my original post slowly :roll:

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am

So you can see the size, this is a sealed transfer from my FV to keg (as mentioned above)

Had 400g of dry hops so even with crash cooling I was still getting the few odd pieces of hop matter coming through and clogging the poppet / disconnect which would mean stopping the transfer and cleaning it all out, this could happen a few times.

With the filter it all transfers much quicker with no stopping, I also have an attachment which I can clip onto the disconnect with a bottling wand to bottle whats left in the FV.
Attachments
DUs1W9sXcAAuBfx.jpg

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am

Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am
So you can see the size, this is a sealed transfer from my FV to keg (as mentioned above)

Had 400g of dry hops so even with crash cooling I was still getting the few odd pieces of hop matter coming through and clogging the poppet / disconnect which would mean stopping the transfer and cleaning it all out, this could happen a few times.

With the filter it all transfers much quicker with no stopping, I also have an attachment which I can clip onto the disconnect with a bottling wand to bottle whats left in the FV.
Is the JG fitting fitted to a hose tail or something else?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 am

orlando wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am
Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am

Is the JG fitting fitted to a hose tail or something else?
Its not connected to anything, once ive connected up the liquid side and the pressure has equalized I pop on the gas fitting to vent. Its pushing out co2 and with the gas dip tube being lower than the PRV is better when the kegs full and starts chucking beer out xD I did have a pipe connected that went in starsan but really I dont think its an issue so stopped bothering. Obviously the keg is fully purged with Co2 before I start.

Quality of my beer has increased a lot especially when its sat a few months in the kegerator after starting to do these transfers.

Edit: is it the gas disconnect you were asking about ?

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm

Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:44 am
No. Sorry didn't make myself clear. I meant the JG fitting on the FV.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm

orlando wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... e-fitting/

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 pm
orlando wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... e-fitting/
=D>

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Cobnut

Post by Cobnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Sounds like no-one has used this sort of filter for filtering between boiler and fermenter. I guess I need to find a way to reduce the trub in my boil and then either use a better filter in the boiler or be selective as to what I run into the fermenter. Not that it is translating into super cloudy beer, so maybe not a huge issue...?

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Cobnut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:06 pm
Sounds like no-one has used this sort of filter for filtering between boiler and fermenter. I guess I need to find a way to reduce the trub in my boil and then either use a better filter in the boiler or be selective as to what I run into the fermenter. Not that it is translating into super cloudy beer, so maybe not a huge issue...?
Before I had a conical I used to chill it down then give it a good stir for a few mins and leave it for 15-30 mins, a lot of the junk will drop out. I wasnt really the bothered by even a lot going in. Now I just dump whats collected in my conical after 24 hours :D

orlando

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Now I just dump whats collected in my conical after 24 hours :D
Are you saying you pitch after dumping trub then?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:12 pm

orlando wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm
Bigbud78 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm
Now I just dump whats collected in my conical after 24 hours :D
Are you saying you pitch after dumping trub then?
No, I pitch when I get it in FV. Attached is what I dumped last one I did at 24 hours
Attachments
20245649_10159088453250506_7730676335178908985_n.jpg