Fermentation and cold crash with Maxi and inkbird

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Tomp
Steady Drinker

Fermentation and cold crash with Maxi and inkbird

Post by Tomp » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:26 pm

I picked up a very cheap maxi cooler this week (old pub going under - real shame) and am thinking of repurposing it for cold crashing and possibly even for lagering. I have a insulation jacket planned made from plastic pipework and insulation.

Anyone control one of these from an Inkbird? I want to be kind to the compressor so leave it only a 10 minute delay or so, but does anyone have any feedback?
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Fermentation and cold crash with Maxi and inkbird

Post by chris2012 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Yup I did that based on stuff on here I'd seen, with an SS coil I placed in the fermenter bucket and used an inkbird too. You can set a delay with the inkbird.

I used heating wire to do the heating part.

There's also some cool posts on here where people have put a heater in-line with the maxi too.

You can see photos of my very rudimentary setup here - https://www.anfractuosity.com/projects/ ... kbird-308/

I used JG fittings to connect the SS coil to beerline to more JG fittings on the maxi.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm

OCRing the Inkbird display, well played that man!

Cheers,
Jamie

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am

its do-able..

but i would suggest if you have the room for a brewfridge its probably a superior and cheaper to run and easier to manage solution. And unless you have invested in a large sized SS fermentor that wont fit inside anything other than a custom built fridge, its often better to buy new fermentors that fit the fridge you get imho.

But some project just cry out to be built ;) so a good source of cheap hex coils is ebay where the square product coils from the larger chest chillers appear for £10-£15 a pop
be mindful they may appear and be advertised as 10mm but are probably 3/8" so wait till you get one before you spend on fittings (i didnt),,
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:11 pm

All good advice here, if you have a fridge use it, especially if you have crash cooling or lagering in mind.

In practice my setup will hold 4.5-5C

Insulation is really important especially on the coolant lines. Also don't get too ambitious with the power of the python pump.

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Yeah that's a very good point about insulation, I skimped on that which I shouldn't have.

I think I got around 4C lowest fermenter temp too iirc, but that was in a shed in summer.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:26 pm

You don't need a very big coil. I use one of these cask cooling probes in a 12 gallon batch and it's fine.
https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/iuEAA ... s-l640.jpg