Hop filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wilfh
Piss Artist

Hop filter

Post by wilfh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm

After putting two 2.4kw elements in my boil pot I am starting to have drainage problems with my hop filter.
I think it’s because I’m getting much more hot break due to the more vigorous boil.

I currently use a copper pipe in the shape of a square sitting in the middle of the pot, drawing to a tap however now it blocks up with about 15 litres and no amount of suction or stirring will get it going again. I use whole hops.

There are lots of hop filters on the internet that have been built which look great but which one actually works the best.

My alternatives are
-drill lots of holes in the existing one (currently hack saw slits) of say 2mm.
- A hop filter from Brew builder although I’m not sure it will fit under the elements or
- a stainless braid type filter although I’m not sure that it will siphon well enough (?)

Any suggestions or better still pictures of ones that are tried and tested?

Cheers
Wilf

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Hop filter

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:17 pm

My filter is basically the same as yours and have used one identical to it last year without any major problems. I wonder if you are making heavily hopped beers?
My usual practise includes spooning off most of the froth that forms on top of the wort before the boil starts and some recycling a short time before the boil finishes.

I'm brewing now and will start the kettle run off, hopefully, at 6:30 this evening. You could call across then if it suits you. Let me know and I'll PM you my address. If you do come, please excuse the mess, it's always like this when I brew.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Would love too Eric but alas I’ve got 2 kids to deal with instead. Using about 60-80g of hops each brew so not excessive and has only started since putting the elements in the pan

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Use a Hop Sock or Hop Spider, I use my old BIAB bag so the hops have room to swim.

ATB. aamcle

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 pm

I too use a rectangular copper pipe hop filter in a boiler with two elements. I have as many holes drilled in the bottom as I can and also wrap a coarse nylon straining mesh bag around it. I can use up to 40% pellets with the rest leaf and still get no blockages. I used to get blockages till I used the nylon filter bag. The bag I use is one like this www.stonehelm.co.uk/Equipment/FilterBag ... all-coarse.
Also make sure there is some pipe on the outlet tap to make sure it syphons all out.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:04 pm

OK Wilf, I'll carry on. It's a bit of a complicated brew.
No, that's normal hopping these days. I've two elements in a 70 litre vessel with 15mm copper pipe with junior hacksaw cuts half way through, I think every 6mm. Mine was a rectangle but now it runs round the the vessel with 8 by 135 degree elbows. Thought I'd do this that I could whirlpool when using hop pellets. So far it seems to cope with pellets without the whirlpool.
Good luck.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks everyone. Think I’ll get the drill out! Cheers Wilf

wilfh
Piss Artist

Post by wilfh » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Good luck with the brew Eric