Energy use with electric elements

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Leard
Tippler

Energy use with electric elements

Post by Leard » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Currrently I'm relying on a big 15L pot on my gas stove to boil and heat up my strike water. It's not the best way because I only have one pot to heat strike water. Therefore I'm currently heating it up past the target temperature and then storing it in my fermenter until it's ready to use. There may be a better way to do this, however it's generally working fine at the moment.

Anyway I'm thinking of purchasing this (https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/ac ... meter.html) as it would allow me to do bigger batches and also give me a HLT. My only concern is energy usage since it's electricity rather than gas, which is more expensive. Am I calculating this correctly regarding how much energy I'd end up using per brew?

The element it comes with is 2.4kW. Say I use it for 4 hours on a brew day. That would be 9.6kW of energy I'm using? At 13.08p a kWh that means I'm only spending £1.25 on electricity. That seems awfully low so I suspect I've calculated wrong. If that's not low then I guess that's enough for me to go and buy one. In addition would a 2.4kW element be enough to heat up 20L of wort?

Anybody else have any tips when it comes to how they boil and heat up their wort and water?

simon12
Hollow Legs

Re: Energy use with electric elements

Post by simon12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

A 2.4Kw element will use 2.4Kwh every hour its on so yes 31.4p per hour its on and £1.25 if its on for 4 hours. 1 element will heat up 20l no problem but 2 will do it much quicker. Gas is generally much cheaper to heat on but on a gas burner much more of the heat is lost compared to an element in the liquid, its likely still cheaper but not as much as the price alone suggests.

Leard
Tippler

Post by Leard » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Two elements would be better I guess. However I don't feel confident trying to make my own electric boiler and so I'm going to rely on just buying one. Can't seem to find any that have two elements with my price range though.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm

If you go to brew builder is doesn't cost to much more or if you get it made by brewbulider and fit £5 kettle elements its cheaper.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I use one 2.4kw element in my 33L pot. No problem at all getting to a boil. If you insulate the pot with a camping mat it will get to the boil even quicker.

In the summer I remove the mat once it gets to a boil otherwise it's very vigorous.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 pm

No way you need 2 elements for 20 litres. 1 is plenty.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Leard
Tippler

Post by Leard » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Brewbuilder only seem to offer metal pots though. I can't find anything about getting one made.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Leard wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm
Brewbuilder only seem to offer metal pots though. I can't find anything about getting one made.
He will make them, don't know why they're not on the site anymore. Send him an email. Failing that, the Malt Miller also does them.
Best wishes

Dave

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm

The best place to get him is via twitter message , but he is very busy usually. He can custom build you virtually anything, I've just had a 100l thermos bottom drain HLT off him