Water to garage

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Carnot
Piss Artist

Re: Water to garage

Post by Carnot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am

I checked the blue "Caravan" hose. These are a composite of PVC exterior and a liner of an unspecified type - not PVC. Another option would be polyurethane (PU) but is will be about twice the price. Blue MDPE water pipe would obviously be fine but much less flexible.

New PVC hose -post 2015 - should be lead free (as long as it is not old stock). Lead stabilisers have been phased out and replaced by Ca/ Zn. However the advice is still not to use plasticised (soft) PVC for drinking (potable) water applications. I doubt if it would cause a problem but that is the recommendation.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 am

Carnot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am
I checked the blue "Caravan" hose. These are a composite of PVC exterior and a liner of an unspecified type - not PVC. Another option would be polyurethane (PU) but is will be about twice the price. Blue MDPE water pipe would obviously be fine but much less flexible.

New PVC hose -post 2015 - should be lead free (as long as it is not old stock). Lead stabilisers have been phased out and replaced by Ca/ Zn. However the advice is still not to use plasticised (soft) PVC for drinking (potable) water applications. I doubt if it would cause a problem but that is the recommendation.
Might be worth an email to the manufacturer asking the questions. Water that is going on to be boiled is very unlikely to be a problem but you will use unboiled water elsewhere.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 am

orlando wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 am

Might be worth an email to the manufacturer asking the questions. Water that is going on to be boiled is very unlikely to be a problem but you will use unboiled water elsewhere.
Surely it's the other way round? If there are chemical nasties in the water run through a hose with contaminants then boiling will concentrate these.

But perhaps I've misunderstood the problem.

Guy

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:41 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:53 am
orlando wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 am

Surely it's the other way round? If there are chemical nasties in the water run through a hose with contaminants then boiling will concentrate these.

But perhaps I've misunderstood the problem.

Guy
No you're right, there are these other considerations though I confess I have no idea what they are.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Carnot
Piss Artist

Post by Carnot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Don't get too hung up. Probably the best option is to buy a caravan hose and some decent brass fittings. Otherwise search for PU hose on eBay though there is ot a lot of choice. A PU airline hose would also work but the fittings will have to be altered.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Carnot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 am

Mine must be PU then? its a single material similar im weight/feel to the thick walled silicone tube it was 2x the cost of garden hose(branded)
but has stood up to 5 years of uv and temp extremes laid out leading upto the brewshed, the ends get disconnected and coiled between uses..

its wrth it imho ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Wet Spaniel
Steady Drinker

Post by Wet Spaniel » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:25 am

[quote=jaroporter post_id=830534 time=1520872305 user_id=10787]
for sure use decent hose if you can. i've drunk rubber flavoured water out of cheap hose and it's not nice!

you can still hard plumb the shed, but connect it up plug n play via removable hosepipe. that way it's easy to pack away and drain the system when not in use to stop pipes freezing.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I had my set up at my last house. Hard plumbed copper pipe feeds to HLT etc with a brass hose quick connect on the 'incoming' end. I used a caravan type blue hose to connect to my outside tap, it worked a treat. I'll be taking the same approach with my new brew shed which I'm in the middle of building at the moment

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:28 am

If plumbing in a temporary isolated copper pipe system, imho it would be wise to build in the facility to drain it at its lowest point to reduce the risk of standing water forming toxic verdigris inside the pipework, earthing the copper with a grounded link will aid in this too..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:41 pm

When Virgin were installing pipes / tubing for enabling fibre broadband on our properties, with awkward access, they considered using their mole technology but were put off by potentially damaging any unknown existing pipes or cables etc. The same may apply elsewhere.