Keg Chiller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JonoT
Piss Artist

Keg Chiller

Post by JonoT » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

A long period of quite online, I thought i should share what i have been upto......

Last summer while trying to serve beer outside and keep it cold i did an experiment and it seemed that it work. I got some pipe, duct tape and connected all up to my maxi chiller, wrapped the whole lot in a large towel and my old coat!

It seemed to work so I though i want to improve this and came up with a keg jacket

1st job was to fix the maxi chiller as the thermostat didn't work and it didn't chill at all. I was rather fortunate that it was a simple repair, and removed the thermostat and i replaced it with a a STC-1000 which worked

then taken a cheep fleece blanket and an old ironing board cover to make a blanket (with some help from mum to sow it all up) and an inlay of pipe all hooked up to the maxi chiller. This was the plan Keg Jacket

Finally finished it all last night after starting it last year and this is the end result. Testing last night seems that its going to work as planned. Final proof will be in the summer when it warms up and have a few parties outside.

chris2012
Under the Table

Re: Keg Chiller

Post by chris2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 am

Heh nice, I've done that too, I wrapped the beer pipe itself round the keg, but using copper makes more sense.

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 am

I went for plastic just because i wanted something flexible and none permanent so could be move around easily

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Sorry I'm a bit confused, it looked like you were using copper?

(I meant I used plastic beer pipe wrapped round the keg itself, which did seem to work well though)

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Just wondering why you don't just use the line chiller as a line chiller?

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 pm

simon12 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:11 pm
Just wondering why you don't just use the line chiller as a line chiller?
I do, but theres a few times when i've had 4 kegs on the go at a time! if all to boys from work come around.... a lot of beer gets drunk!

JonoT
Piss Artist

Post by JonoT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 pm

chris2012 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 pm
Sorry I'm a bit confused, it looked like you were using copper?

(I meant I used plastic beer pipe wrapped round the keg itself, which did seem to work well though)
One Sat in a hurry i wanted to keep an extra keg cool, i found a bit of copper left over from making my counterflow chiller on the shelf in the garage.

I like the idea, i wanted something easy to take on and take off. the copper tube needed taping to keg to keep it in place. So i've soawn plastic tube as its flexable into a blanket with velcro ties to make it quick and easy to take on and take off the keg.

I hope that makes more sence!