Backer Element Shrouds

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mikew
Steady Drinker

Backer Element Shrouds

Post by mikew » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:30 pm

I am just finishing up manufacture of my shiney new brewery, but have a slight issue with regards to my backer heating elements.

I know others have had problems with the back shrouds needing to be trimmed down, as they drop off because of the small unthreaded portion.. I however intended to use the 2.4kw shrouds from brew builder however it would seem these are marginally too big.. enough that they don't thread at all.

Does anybody know what thread the backer element shrouds are? Guessing not M40.. I can manufacture some new stainless shrouds if I know the size of the threads..

I know others have suggested K8 bearing nuts.. but these also seem to be M40.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Backer Element Shrouds

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 am

I got nothing from email when Backer* sent me a very poorly finished 2.7kW element but when I phoned I got an immediate response (replacement element delivered the next day all FoC). Someone there may be able to tell you.

* Backer domestic sales via the heating element company
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 pm

Having worked out it is not actually the thread size that's my problem but the fact that whatever size it is the brew builder back shrouds are ever so slightly too large and hence do not tighten up .

This added to the fact the plastic ones that are supplied with them.. without a lot of faff of cutting them down to make the thread run all the way to the end.

Leaves me in a predicament I have two perfectly sized element holes in my shiny HLT, and two perfectly good elements without any feasible way of fitting them securely to it..

Any advice greatly received.

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:38 am

These are the elements I have, I am guessing that they are very different to the ones available now.. I believe these are 2.75kw not the 2.4kw that seem really available these days..

Will try and chop the supplied back nut down today as a temporary fix and see what I can do from there. Maybe try and measure the thread size to get a closer match than M40..Image

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:19 pm

I've got three 2.75kW of that design - two new style backer elements (one replacement for the poorly finished one), one old style backer element (better quality metal, different element shape). I also have a 2.4kW non-backer. All are fine with KM8 locknuts.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:06 pm

vacant wrote:I've got three 2.75kW of that design - two new style backer elements (one replacement for the poorly finished one), one old style backer element (better quality metal, different element shape). I also have a 2.4kW non-backer. All are fine with KM8 locknuts.
Thanks think I'll chance the KM8 nuts..

Having successfully cut down the plastic back nuts I have a temporary fix, that at least works.