Brew builder hop Filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mikew
Steady Drinker

Brew builder hop Filter

Post by mikew » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 pm

I am in the process of finishing up my new shiny brewery build and have a hop filter from the brew builder.. However have one question as I seem to be missing something.. how do I join my filter to the included hose.. is the filter assembled wrongly as the hose barb is on the inside.. and I have the odd fitting I don't recognise on the outside, Or am I missing a fitting to connect the hose to the fitting shown.

Any advice is much appreciated.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brew builder hop Filter

Post by Haydnexport » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm pretty sure you just stretch the pipe over that fitting

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:48 pm

I have the same one. push the hose on to the filter and secure with jubilee clip. On your boiler tap you just need a hose tail to push the other end on to. Do not secure that, no need. If you do you just have to undo it each time you want to clean the filter, which is of course every time you brew. What you are calling the "hose barb on the inside" is the pick up tube for your filtered wort.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Make sure the jubilee clip is 100% stainless, a lot of them are not.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm

If he provided it it will be.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:51 am

Interesting! My filter from Mr Brewbuilder is the other way round. The hose barb is on the outside and it came with silicone tubing which pushes onto the barb. The internal fitting is straight, not an elbow like yours.

Mine only has four screws securing the outer rings, so I'm guessing you've got the very large one. Perhaps the design is different.

Guy

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 am

The hose barb should be on the outside:

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 am

orlando wrote:I have the same one. push the hose on to the filter and secure with jubilee clip. On your boiler tap you just need a hose tail to push the other end on to. Do not secure that, no need. If you do you just have to undo it each time you want to clean the filter, which is of course every time you brew. What you are calling the "hose barb on the inside" is the pick up tube for your filtered wort.
Thanks,

The hose barb I refer to is if you look both fittings are a different style. The one on the outside is an elbow with a grove cut around it, quite a bit bigger than the hose diameter.

The hose barb on the inside is a typical straight barb screwed into an elbow, ridged conical style, which is what I would expect to fit to a flexible hose. Hence my question, is the barb on the inside supposed to be on the outside?

mikew
Steady Drinker

Post by mikew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am

joe1002 wrote:The hose barb should be on the outside:

Thanks,

I don't know why when I looked back at the website I couldnt make it out on the photo.

That makes more sense to what I would expect.

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 am

mikew wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:13 am
orlando wrote:I have the same one. push the hose on to the filter and secure with jubilee clip. On your boiler tap you just need a hose tail to push the other end on to. Do not secure that, no need. If you do you just have to undo it each time you want to clean the filter, which is of course every time you brew. What you are calling the "hose barb on the inside" is the pick up tube for your filtered wort.
Thanks,

The hose barb I refer to is if you look both fittings are a different style. The one on the outside is an elbow with a grove cut around it, quite a bit bigger than the hose diameter.

The hose barb on the inside is a typical straight barb screwed into an elbow, ridged conical style, which is what I would expect to fit to a flexible hose. Hence my question, is the barb on the inside supposed to be on the outside?

You've probably worked it out now but the silicon hose in your original picture looks like it is designed to go onto the "grooved" elbow with the jubilee clip securing it. Mine came with the barb seen in the Brewbuilder picture, with a barb at the tap end. I just wonder whether the internal diameter of your hose is too big for a barb. Either way you want at least one end to be push on/off to facilitate easy removal for cleaning.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 am

orlando wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:33 am
Mine came with the barb seen in the Brewbuilder picture, with a barb at the tap end.
So did the OP's, it was fitted to the inside not the outside though, so the wrong way around basically. Look carefully at the original picture.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am

Just out of interest are these able to filter pellets?

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am

joe1002 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 am
orlando wrote:
Mine came with the barb seen in the Brewbuilder picture, with a barb at the tap end.
So did the OP's, it was fitted to the inside not the outside though, so the wrong way around basically. Look carefully at the original picture.
I have, I also have one. What is on the inside is exactly the same as mine. The difference is the top elbow. Mine has a barb screwed into it (as can be seen in the BB picture), which the hose pushes onto. His has an elbow that the hose should push onto and tightens around the groove with the jubilee clip. If the hose doesn't fit onto the grooved elbow he needs to get it changed by BB. Is the grooved elbow able to take a male threaded barb?

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

joe1002
Piss Artist

Post by joe1002 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm

orlando wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:56 am
joe1002 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 am
orlando wrote:
I have, I also have one. What is on the inside is exactly the same as mine. The difference is the top elbow. Mine has a barb screwed into it (as can be seen in the BB picture), which the hose pushes onto. His has an elbow that the hose pushes onto and tightens around the groove with the jubilee clip.
I'm confused as to why you would want / need a barb on the inside too, unless I have misunderstood what you are saying. In any event it would appear to me the OP is best to turn it around so the hose barb is on the outside and the elbow on the inside?

I'll be ordering one for myself soon :D

orlando

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

I guess it's to slow down the run off. Make the aperture too big and you're in danger of clogging the filter. I asked the question about the top elbow to see if a threaded barb would fit. Makes no sense to pull apart the whole filter, fix the top part, it's all he needs to do. The internal fitting works fine, trust me, I have one. :D

Fermenting:
Conditioning: