Maxi 210 cooler leaking - Advice please

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
timtoos
Piss Artist

Maxi 210 cooler leaking - Advice please

Post by timtoos » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I purchased a maxi 210 cooler (listed as new but its reconditioned by the look of it inside) last year in order to chill down my fermenter should I ever brew a lager. Well I brewed one on Saturday and its all plumbed in and doing the job.

However, the damn thing is leaking. When I look underneath water is dripping (a drip every few seconds) from the underside, under the water reservoir area. I have put the cooler into a garden tray and using it like a sump. However I don't like the amount of water its losing, and I need to top up with 3-5L of water every 12 hours or so. I filled by removing the overflow bung and filling until water ran out, so I don't think its overfilled.

The system doesn't run for long as its just tickling the fermenter to maintain 12.5C so I don't think its a ice blockage or such like. It runs for say 2 minutes and then knocks off. My controller has the fridge compressor delay protection set at 5 minutes to prevent yo-yo starting the chiller up.

Could the tank be cracked? Any joints I should be checked as without taking it all apart, things are quite hard to reach in there. Should these things run so wet?

TIA

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Maxi 210 cooler leaking - Advice please

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm

If you're putting 3-5L water every 12 hours that means the tank is completely emptying every 12 hours. This is a bit odd, as the water in the tank should have frozen to provide the ice bath. Unless you're letting it thaw out completely between the times it's being used.

Whatever, there's definitely a problem if it's losing that much water.

Best bet is probably to contact the person you bought it from and see if they can put it right for you.

Guy

timtoos
Piss Artist

Post by timtoos » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:18 am

As the unit is coming on and off now and again (just to cool the fermenter down) then I am not sure an ice bath would be aready formed. Should I leave the unit running a few hours on its own to build up this ice bath and then reconnect to the fermenter?

Seems odd to me though losing so much water, ice bath or no ice bath. I think you are right, things is it was an eBay purchase and it was bought last year :-(

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 am

if there is no water in it there can be no ice bath.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 am

Haydnexport wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:56 am
if there is no water in it there can be no ice bath.
Very true!

If the person you bought it from claims to have refurbished it then, even though you bought it some while ago, they may be able to repair it for you. At some cost, obviously.

It certainly isn't useable in it current state, sadly.

Guy

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 am

I wonder if the python line could have been pulled away from the tank, time to open the cover and check what's happening to the recirculation.
aka Rhys