Brewbuilder FO/not FO Hop Filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mosquat
Piss Artist

Brewbuilder FO/not FO Hop Filter

Post by mosquat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am

Hi all,

Just wondered has anyone got the 3kw elements and are using one of the BrewBuilder hop filters (either the FO one or the non FO one)?

I'm just thinking about getting the filter in and out after each brew with my 3kw getting in the way.

Thanks for any comments

Carl

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Brewbuilder FO/not FO Hop Filter

Post by sbond10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 am

If no one answers then maybe email him with a pic of your kettle to get a true answer

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:40 pm

sbond10 wrote:If no one answers then maybe email him with a pic of your kettle to get a true answer
Cheers, will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I have the FO, replacing the non FO. I had to alter the bulk head connector to get it in. However my elements are the 2.4kWh ones not 3kWh so I suggest you email Lardy and ask. info@brewbuilder.co.uk A picture of your kettle and its dimensions would help. If you can get the FO I thoroughly recommend it having used both.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Cheers, I’ve mailed with other, more annoying questions but surely one more wont hurt ;)

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 pm

Yu might wait a day or two for an answer.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 am

Depends upon the size of your pot.

The non FO is very tricky to get out from under the 2.4kw elements I have in a 33 litre pot. It's easier to remove the elements.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 pm

fwiw i use the 3kw qnd 2.4kw BB lwd elements, because they are lwd elements its ok to have them come into contact with eachother and other hardware in the kettle without any hotspot concerns.. in both my hlt and kettle the elements cross over and touch eachother, and post use there is no evidence of hotspots with a light even dusting of calcium, where before using kettle elements i would have 2-3mm of damp calcium to clean from the spiral, and highly evident hot spots where the elements outer spiral was in contact with the backplate.

If necessary removing the elements is no big deal, the large soft silicone oring seals with little more than finger tightening of the locknut ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm

I’m thinking the same re element removal, but it is extra hassle all the same. I’m just weighing up that vs how much do I need the filter...I would gain a bit of beer but mainly use pellets anyway and Im not sure the filter is built for pellets??

Perhaps I can use the filter cash on some other element of the brewery that i will benefit more from... :)

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

mosquat wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm
I’m thinking the same re element removal, but it is extra hassle all the same. I’m just weighing up that vs how much do I need the filter...I would gain a bit of beer but mainly use pellets anyway and Im not sure the filter is built for pellets??

Perhaps I can use the filter cash on some other element of the brewery that i will benefit more from... :)
A filter is important. It stops trub carrying over into the FV, stuff you do not want in the FV. If you want to brew the best beer you can it's important if not..............................the beer you gain will make you question your decision.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

mosquat
Piss Artist

Post by mosquat » Tue May 01, 2018 11:27 pm

Sounds like I need to find a way to make this work then

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 am

orlando wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm
A filter is important. It stops trub carrying over into the FV, stuff you do not want in the FV. If you want to brew the best beer you can it's important if not..............................the beer you gain will make you question your decision.
While I agree in thr importance of clear wort into the fermenter, you don't need a filter to achieve that.

Simply leaving the trub to settle out and then and siphoning from the top (or having your kettle exit above the base of your kettle) will be nearly as effective, and without the problems of filter blocking.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.