Hose connections

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
bottles
Steady Drinker

Hose connections

Post by bottles » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi all,
I've been looking at quick disconnects for hoses for my brew kit. I'm leaning to quick disconnects but would like to hear views of these and cam locks.
One fear with quick disconnects is how interchangeable are they? I'll probably buy these in two or three steps and want to avoid having fittings that don't work with each other. I have issues with my cornies and disconnects that I think is due to different makers.
What are the advantages of having fairly easy quick disconnects versus needing 2 or 3 hands for cam locks?
Andrew

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Hose connections

Post by Jocky » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 pm

I can only say that camlocks are easy to use and don't need 3 hands. One will do it most of the time, although yes you occasionally need a second hand.

Not as quick and easy as QD but I've never had mine come off or leak even a drop, even while mixing camlock parts from 3 separate providers.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:01 pm

I agree camlocks 'do what it says on the tin' to paraphrase.. I use a mixture of connectors, on the hot side i use camlocks, but on the cold side i use hozelock terminated waterbut taps on plastic fv drains and use 1/2" pvc tube in a quality foodsafe plastic and SS Gardinia brand hozelock female fitting for a fast drain option when kegging.
(purists may argue i have this the wrong way round.. but when hot the simple 2 lever close/release of a camlock requires little handelling of HOT pipework)

i have also used standard JG pushfit fittings which are rated upto 85c and can have 20x(often many more) good on/off's before orings start to fail and weep.. Its a simple to aquire knack to release a jg fittings just takes a little practice and the plumbers twist to close variety are a doddle..

For a budget low pressure option silicone tube of a slightly smaller inside diameter than the outside diameter of tubes you wish to connect can be used for a simply friction fit/seal, thinner walled 1-2mm silicone tube can be rolled on and off adjoining tube quite easily and quickly..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am

Theres also hook n claw aka geka fittings which people are using on the hot side.
Which ever way you go its going to cost around 7-10 quid per pair

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks for the guidance on connections. Who sells the geka fittings? I've not seen these.
What are the negatives for cam and groove fittings? As I'm thinking these might be the better route long term?
I do like the look and ease of quick disconnects but as I've never used any connection system it's hard to guess which way to go, I'd like to buy once only.
Andrew

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Ebay is were ive been looking for geka fittings unless someone can suggest a cheaper source

Quick disconnects i believe the hose has to be perfectly straight or it weelps im led to believe.

Im in a similiar boat as you im about to buy my first load of connections and i only wanna buy once

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Used Camlocks switched to QD's, bliss!
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:16 pm

What did you find wrong with cam locks? Have you had any issues with QD's?
Andrew

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Nothing wrong with camlocks, they worked perfectly. I'm just lazy and like to be able to use one hand, I don't like fiddly kit. No issues with the QD's at all, they look like the day I bought them, terrific value.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:11 pm

I have both fitting types on my boiler setup. Of the 2, I probably prefer the quick disconnects, they're easier to use. Camlocks are good too, but you need 2 hands to fasten them, and it can be awkward fastening them shut in tight spaces.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Would I be right in thinking the QDs aren't a universal fit, so need to come from the same manufacturer to ensure compatibility?
Kev

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 pm

I'm not sure how interchangeable the QD's? But I've had issues with my cornies and connectors not easily fitting together.
Think I'm going to QD's as they might be easier to use and seem cheaper. I'm planning to buy from a single supplier all in one go so if I need more they should fit.
Just realised I never mentioned my kit. A 2 vessel/Biab 40 litre. This is enough for me with no plans to increase size for a few years.
Andrew

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 am

sbond10 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am
Theres also hook n claw aka geka fittings which people are using on the hot side.
I've only seen these in brass, and I'm not a fan of using brass in hot acidic wort, even if it has a low lead content.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Jocky wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 am
sbond10 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:14 am
I've only seen these in brass, and I'm not a fan of using brass in hot acidic wort, even if it has a low lead content.
Many people use um successfully i had concerns but seeing others using um has reassured me

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm

bottles wrote:I'm not sure how interchangeable the QD's? But I've had issues with my cornies and connectors not easily fitting together.
I have 25+ male and female QD’s from several different suppliers and all work fine together.

For some of my connections where the hose is pulled around a bit I use hose clips with thumb turns on them to prevent any weeping. Brewbuilder also sells some very nice large bore female versions which have larger barbs on them and don’t ever need clips.

Ian
Ian