Einbrew 1V1P Brew Controller

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I recently signed up to test and review the 1V1P brew controller from Einbrew.
I have been brewing for over 3 years on all electric brewing systems. I started off with a plastic bucket BIAB system. I love BIAB mainly for is simplicity and ability to turn around a brew day in a short amount of time but was having difficulties with mash temps and I couldn’t step mash. I added a pump and started to recirculate and this led me to build a diy braumeister, then a diy grainfather and I have finally settled on diy brew easy system. I have built a number of brew controllers and very familiar with one vessel one pump setups and how they work. My personal favourite controller is the Ardbir which I have been using for the past couple of years.

The box from Einbrew contains the controller, a well laid out user manual, a pt100 probe and the nec connectors that you require to wire up your pump and heating element to the Einbrew controller. You need to supply the electric cable and any other connector that you need to wire up your heating element or pump.
1.jpg
Firstly, I was very happy by the build quality and components used. The steel case is a thing of beauty, well laid out and wouldn’t be out of place on the Death Star. This thing was built to last and put my diy Ardbir to shame. The controller is designed to be wall mounted; this might not suit all brewers and setups but is perfect for me. All the cables are detachable for easy clean up and storage.
2.JPG
My system consists of a 50l Bergland thermopot with 3kw element as the Kettle with the temp probe mounted internally. I have a separate 33 litre mash tun with false bottom and a blichmann autosparge , a chugger pump and a plate chiller. Its just like a grainfather with the malt pipe outside the kettle, it is a very easy diy build. The water is pumped from the kettle to the top of the mash tun and gravity fed back into the kettle through a whirlpool arm. I do full volume batches, same as BIAB.
3.JPG
tun.JPG
Setup was a breeze once you have your pump and heating element wired up. The controller itself is very easy to use. You have four operation modes that you can select, preheat, mash, boil, cool. The pump can be turned on from a button on the controller and can be programmed to do rests during the mashing stage.

I brewed a German Pilsner for the first brew.
I selected the preheat step and set the temp to 39. I weighted and crushed my grain into the mash tun as I underlet from the kettle through the pump.
4.JPG
I setup a multistep mash profile, mash in 35, 52 for 15, 63 for 30, 72 for 30, mash out 78 for 10. You can set 9 mash steps and 9 hop additions with the controller. This is very easy to do with the 1V1P and was a bit of a chore on my Ardbir.

Boiled for 90 minutes with the hop additions at 60, 25 and 0 minutes all programmed easily from the controller. The controller will issue alarms for all steps including hop additions.

If you need to use the pump during the boil phase you need to set the max run temp to 105 or else the pump will not come on as I found when I went to recirculate to sanitize my plate chiller.

The brew day went really well, I hit all my numbers and controller did its job well. the controller hit all the temps quickly. Once you hit the boil the controller sets to auto simmer for a controlled boil, this can be overridden easily in real time from the controller if the simmer is not to your liking.

All in all I would highly recommend this controller. It is very user friendly, a well-built piece of kit and will be replacing my trusty Ardbir in my brewery.
Last edited by dbambrick996 on Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Einbrew 1V1P Brew Controller

Post by Haydnexport » Mon May 14, 2018 8:32 pm

great review, I have one to do, but have been mental busy , might just get a chance tomorrow , or friday

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Haydnexport wrote:great review, I have one to do, but have been mental busy , might just get a chance tomorrow , or friday
What I really liked about the system is there isn’t much of a learing curve. Setting mash steps and hop additions is really easy and quick, just give the instructions a read before you use it the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue May 15, 2018 8:00 am

Great write up, and it had better work well for the price ,, £389 i didn't stay on the site any longer so that may or may not incur extra for pnp too..
But if you want a level of automation and control without too much hands on diy and have a healthy brewtoy budget??

However I would also expect web connectivity and remote logging access and control at that price point, these are features available on much cheaper controllers (smartpid, brewpi-less)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 am

Yep it is a hefty price but if you saw the build quality and components you might think otherwise. This is a complete controller, plug and play, brewpiless is a diy job and not suitable for all brewers and is also a fermentation controller last time I built one. I haven’t seen smartpid but it’s the same guy that built the ardbir, so it will be good, but you still need to source a box and other bits and pieces.

The 1V1P is aimed at non diy builders that are interested in an electric brewery type panel and setup

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue May 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Fair point. As no one else has brought an off the shelf plug n brew controller to market, they get to set the price.. If there is a market, and im sure there is, competitors should appear bringing the price down if the margins will allow?? the apples n oranges comparisons are inevitable untill more similar products are available tho.. ..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

which are not legal for use in the EU
Einbrewer please dont take this as a personel attack ,but can you explain which laws are being broken by using american equipment in the uk?
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Folks can we keep the thread on track