Need Element Advice

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Need Element Advice

Post by AceMcAce » Thu May 31, 2018 10:52 am

Hi All

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post

I've got a gas setup with a 100L boiler (which I admit is a bit of overkill, I only normally brew a max of 65L)

I have trouble achieving and maintaining a rolling boil. I find that any kind of breeze or movement of the air can slow it down considerably, therefore I want to go electric in the boiler.

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy? I'm completely stumped as to what I need element wise, how to get it in, how to power it etc!

-What element do I need to buy
-How many of them do I need
-How do I fit them

Thanks in advance
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

MDE
Steady Drinker

Re: Need Element Advice

Post by MDE » Thu May 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Hmm. Sort of related to my recent post - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80765&sid=245bcdea1 ... 3ed42f0233 - which hasn’t had any replies yet :(
My 100L tank works well with a nominal 8.5kw gas burner. Electric is more efficient, so I guess about 6kw (two 3kw heaters) would be fine, but you would need to be sure that they were plugged in to a (at least) 32A ring main. I know from experience that 3kw is not enough. I have found that normal 13A electric plugs overheat if used for continuous boiling at full power and would suggest a (separately fused) pair of 16A round-pin sockets. If you are at all unsure about the electrics, get someone qualified to install the outlets.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

Backer sell 2.75kW kettle elements so two would be 5.5kW. They use the old style round plugs and lead/sockets are available on eBay. No overheating on my 13A electrics. KM8 locknuts recommended.

2.4kW elements using more modern but less robust C5 sockets are readily available these days but that would be dropping to 4.8kW.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 pm

might not upgrading your gas burner ring be cheaper?