Multi-function brew trolley build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Chris246810
Sober

Multi-function brew trolley build

Post by Chris246810 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I have been putting together plans and have started gathering parts together for my latest project.
I didnt document my last project (brucontrol panel) and have since had a few people in contact asking for some more details so thought i would document this build incase it helps anyone who has a similar idea.

My initial idea was to make an automated bottle and keg washer. After lots of searching the internet i found plenty of ideas to get me started but none were exactly what i wanted, something where i could just load up a batch of bottles or a couple kegs, press a button then return once the cycle had finished to use them.

Once id got thinking about it and had a few rough drawings i decided to add a couple of extra functions which wouldnt involve too much extra work and would give much better functionality over my origional plan, hopefully without spending too much extra money

So what will the trolley do

1. Bottle washer-
Using a couple of fastrack trays and a stainless spray manifold inside a stainless trough, The bottles are manually loaded into the trays, they are then automatically rinsed,cleaned and sanitised ready for use

2. Cask/Keg washer-
Same process as bottle washer but with a couple of spray balls on the end of a piece of stainless pipe for the cask/keg to sit on rather than the spray manifold.
The bottle manifold/spray ball will be swapped over quickly by camlock or something similar on the side of the trough which houses them.

3. CIP system-
Rather than connecting to the trough/manifolds for the above functions, the quick release will connect to a brewery hose/CIP ball for a cleaning cycle of larger tanks (5bbl)

4. 100L 3 vessel brew system-
This was more of an afterthought, but by swapping one of the tanks for an insulated one and adding a couple of filters, another pump and few extra fittings the system will function as a standard 3 vessel brew system (HLT,Mash Tun and Boil Kettle)

Just got this far then realised i cant add any pictures as ive had to re register my account, can an admin sort this for me?

For now, heres a rough drawing of the plan
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnjtsztMuQMyiTVHTjuCIItXgt-3

Will add the images and details of my progress so far once i can add images properly

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Multi-function brew trolley build

Post by Fil » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:59 pm

I think you have had enough tinkering for the w/end tho Chris, your starting to see breweries in everything ;)

just had a look at the pic and had a thought, dump the sanitiser and cleaner tanks and replace then with small volume feeds to contain the concentrated liquids and just divert the hot water flow via 2 x venturi effect dosing joints, your hot solution will emerge mixed with the relevant concentrate.

saving you £££s on big pots elements fittings etc and let you spend an enjoyable time fabricating the venturi s and tweaking em for performance and acurate dosing.. it would loose the 3v brewery capacity but i suspect everything else in your kitchen/home is also earmarked for alternative brewery duties should the urge take ya ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am

Chris246810 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:28 pm
.........Just got this far then realised i cant add any pictures as ive had to re register my account, can an admin sort this for me?......
You should have full member privileges now Chris.

If any other deleted/returning member is having the same problem, pm me and I'll sort it. Of course the alternative is to make 6 posts. :)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 am

Sankey keg cleaning with spear in place would be great. Couplers that allow draining at the same rate as washing/ Sanitizer spraying are needed. The pump pressure must be strong enough to blast cleaner up the spear and the coupler able to drain at the same rate.
aka Rhys

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:43 am

I think you have had enough tinkering for the w/end tho Chris, your starting to see breweries in everything 
You're right there, i spend way too much time thinking about brewing related stuff.
dump the sanitiser and cleaner tanks and replace then with small volume feeds to contain the concentrated liquids and just divert the hot water flow via 2 x venturi effect dosing joints, your hot solution will emerge mixed with the relevant concentrate.
I think a venturi dosing system would be a nightmare to set up for dosing at the correct amounts. I was going to use 2 small variable peristaltic pumps for dosing the tanks with cleaner and sanitiser chemicals, meaning that i can turn it on and have it automatically fill and dose the appropriate tanks so no manual chemical additions needed.
And having a dedicated tank for each step in the process means it will run a bit faster and less wasted chemicals when used consecutively.
You should have full member privileges now Chris.
Thanks Jim 😁
Sankey keg cleaning with spear in place would be great. Couplers that allow draining at the same rate as washing/ Sanitizer spraying are needed. The pump pressure must be strong enough to blast cleaner up the spear and the coupler able to drain at the same rate.
I havent put to much thought into the keg spear cleaning yet, just a case of getting the correct diaconnects/couplers and flow rate i suppose, also i have a compressed air source available too so may be able to utilise that for keg cleaning somehow.

Got this pump to go on the trolley for cleaning, will have it on flexi disconnects so the pump can be swapped/used elsewhere when needed. Will also add something like a topsflo TD5 pump for liquid transfers between tanks

1.5HP/1.1Kw with full stainless pump head, will control its speed via a VFD
20180529_093932_resized.jpg

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:27 am

Got this aluminium extrusion frame to mount it all on, just need to find something for the shelf and tabletop, stainless sheet is ridiculously expensive so need to find an alternative, any ideas?
20180606_120022_resized.jpg
Got this stainless steel trough for the bottle trays and keg frame to sit in, its actually a water feature tank and was a pretty decent price
20180606_121032_resized.jpg
Attachments
20180606_120022_resized.jpg

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Found somewhere that i could get some 2mm brushed stainless sheet at trade price so splashed out and got it.
Also pots have arrived from germany fully intact with no damage.
Starting to look like something now.
20180622_171058_resized.jpg

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Updated plans for this build
sketch-1536172081820.png
I now have the majority of the parts for the system and control panel so can get building as soon as i find the time.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Very impressive looking bit of kit. You say the pans are from Germany - from whom exactly?

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:50 pm

Direct from the manufacturer bergland, the same pots most uk homebrew suppliers sell, only cheaper.
They dont have a website or anywhere to view what they have though, you just have to email and ask.

ebay_de@bergland24.de

Sometimes they reply in english, sometimes german so just use google translate to decipher if in german.

Made a few orders with them now and service has been great.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Cheers Chris

Suspected so but word earlier this year (or maybe end of last) was that Bergland had stopped dealing direct with individuals having sold the UK franchise - think it was to Angel or someone similar.

Can I ask what you paid for the various bits of kit?

Chris246810
Sober

Post by Chris246810 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Dont think thats the case, i had a delivery from them just a couple weeks back. Cant remember individual pot prices, think it cost about 290 for the 4 pots. 2x100l 1x70 and 1 x80l thermopot.

Could find the invoice out if you want, but probably easier to just drop them an email, they are always quite speedy to reply in working hours.