The Tilt

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
LeeH
Under the Table

The Tilt

Post by LeeH » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 am

Has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/tilt-hydrometer.html

Any advantages over the iSpindel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Re: The Tilt

Post by steviebobs83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:23 pm

£149 for a hydrometer!?! Ouch. Surely any advantages can't outweigh that price tag.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 pm

LeeH wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 am
Has anyone bought one of these?

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/tilt-hydrometer.html

Any advantages over the iSpindel?

Yes I have one. I have never seen or used an ispindel so cannot state any advantages. I am more than happy with my tilt though. I agree it is an expensive item but i like not having to manually take samples during the fermentation.

When the fermentstion kicks off at the start i find the tilt not to be accurate untill it comes down a few points. But after that it works great.

I like the idea of being able to log the gravity readings and then see them anytime remotely on my phone.

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Post by sonicated » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm

chefgage wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 pm
When the fermentstion kicks off at the start i find the tilt not to be accurate untill it comes down a few points. But after that it works great.
That's probably due to all the bubbles making it bob about during rapid fermentation.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:20 pm

sonicated wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:00 pm
chefgage wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:29 pm
That's probably due to all the bubbles making it bob about during rapid fermentation.
Thats what i figured. I calibrated it the first time i used it to match the OG of my hydrometer. When it got down to the FG it was out about 6 points. So the next time i did not bother calibrating and checked against my hydrometer and it read the same going through the whole fermentation barring the first 24 hours after fermentation had started. So apart from that i really like it :)

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:30 pm

Sorry lads, I think I was channelling my other half for a moment there. I'm just jelous. As you were.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:52 pm

steviebobs83 wrote:Sorry lads, I think I was channelling my other half for a moment there. I'm just jelous. As you were.

Channeling? Is that like rodgering?

Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 pm

I wish, and definitely not if I buy one of those.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm

steviebobs83 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 pm
I wish, and definitely not if I buy one of those.

hence the reference to the ispindle a diy version with more features which can be knocked up for a fraction of the cost, if not at all diy inclined then check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80586 where a helpful contributor is selling some he is knocking up..

While the project is so well documented that the pageload can be a bit daunting due to the sheer volume of information available. If you take the time to browse through there is everything you need to know and if you get stuck in and hit a wall im sure others like myself who have been there will get you back on track.. its just lego with a soldering iron ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm

I have 2 of them, that I bought in the US the current newer model has better range and battery life.
I use them with the new Mybrewbot. Why? I have OCD buying brewing HB bits and its nothing a wine thief and hydrometer couldn't do for you except i can accelerate or decelerate gravity when I'm in a different continent.

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Post by Bigbud78 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm

ciderhead wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm
I have 2 of them, that I bought in the US the current newer model has better range and battery life.
I use them with the new Mybrewbot. Why? I have OCD buying brewing HB bits and its nothing a wine thief and hydrometer couldn't do for you except i can accelerate or decelerate gravity when I'm in a different continent.
how you getting on with your brewbot, Ive got one and its really clunky. Struggling with adding sensors ect

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:08 am

Temp probes are prewired?
I will say you need a good internet connection

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

I've got one too. I really like it. It's so much less faff than messing about with a wine thief and since I moved all my fermentation out to a chest freezer in a shed I'd be worried about something nasty getting in the FV whilst the lid is off out there. It is expensive but it just works and it takes all the guess work out of knowing when the fermentation has finished.

Like others, I've noticed that when fermentation really gets going the reading can be off due to the Krausen holding the Tilt up. Looking at the readings for my last brew this lasted about 9 hours before it corrected itself.

I travel a lot to my company's head office in Copenhagen where they actually have a homebrew club and a room with mash tun, corny kegs and a brewing fridge (the Danes are a very enlightened people!). It's great to be able to keep an eye on the brew happening at home whilst I'm there.

I don't have any experience of the iSpindel hydrometer but it looks like it works in the same way and seems like a great thing, especially ready made for £40. I may have got one of those if I'd known about them before I got the Tilt.

sladeywadey
Hollow Legs

Post by sladeywadey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm

I have owned the tilt for over a year (new design too) and it is a good device. I too suffer from excess yeast/krausen deposits giving incorrect readings but I really only use it for telling me when the fermentation has started and finished.

I have recently received an ispindle as I fancy using wifi more than bluetooth.