Washer sizing

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Washer sizing

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:49 am

I was donated a false bottom and recenttly bpught a 1/2 street elbow but the elbow falls thru the centre hole. So i need a pack of stainless washers. But no idea what size to buy as stated the elbow is 1/2.

Thank in andance sean

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Washer sizing

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Not quite as simple as that. In the UK washers come in a number of "forms", A-G (A-D are normally available, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)), and then there are a number of maverick washer sizes, shims and spacer sizes. So decide the ID you want (which you already have - something to go over 1/2 BSP presumably - or about 21-22mm), then what OD would be suitable, then what thickness would be appropriate. Then start hunting on eBay or something to find what would be right. The ODs are often much bigger than you'd like.

Get what washer will suit your job. Don't modify your job to suit a washer you've got. Get a decent fit on the ID - you don't want to be widening holes or have oversized holes which will (however hard you try) fit off-centre.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Evil bay is the place to go.

Start by measuring the outside diameter of the male thread, the bit that screws into your street elbow, the washer will have to slip over it so that's the size of the washers inside diameter.

Then you have two options either make some silicone sealing washers from silicone kitchen stuff or get some food grade silicone mastic of the bay. I've used a lot of the RVT type silicone using it means that I can tighten up the fittings much more if you over do it with silicone washers you cut right through them and they leak.

I've just had a look in the 'bits box' the washer needs an id of 21mm.

ATB. Aamcle

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Well this alot harder than i thought think ill go wilko and play lets see what fits then order a4 grade washers

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:19 pm

If I recall correctly and I may not the one you want is a M20, the actual ID is about 21mm. I think that is what I bought.

Aamcle

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

aamcle wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:19 pm
If I recall correctly and I may not the one you want is a M20, the actual ID is about 21mm. I think that is what I bought.

Aamcle
Ive seen m20 being banded about so i think your atb

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 pm

A colleague kindly obtained me some m20 washers but the street elbow has no lip on so it falls thru now remeasuring its summat like 19.6 mm so m18 wont work so back to the drawing board

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:23 pm

diy your own washers with ptfe tape and a suitable core cut nominally undersize.. then wrap with LOTS of ptfe through the eye overlapping the last wrap, smaller washers provide a problem when threading a roll of ptfe through the middle so i use a drinking straw on a dril driver bit to wind a length of tape onto, this makes an ideal diy bobbin to thread thru the washer eye,, when the tape starts to cushion up (when it happens it will make sense) your getting close, so circumnavigate the washer a couple more times

Now this trick to fabricate a custom seal could be modified to use your m20 ss washer instead of the card core to fine tune the inner diameter of the washer..

However having bought a few bags of M20 washers via ebay over the years they are not all made equal, some with slightly smaller and some with slighty larger inner diameters, some are baggy round a 1/2" bsp thread while some are a snug fit so i would suggest a punt on a bag of 10 x ebay special cheap ss washers and gamble on at least one being suitable,

fwiw i used a ss street elbow with an m20 washer to take the thrust when making my Garth style mesh filter from 2 x splatter guards..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 pm

Looking at your s in the picture your elbow has a lip on the male threaded part mine doesnt

These washers were from a shipping engineers so not cheap crap ebay job s

themadhippy

Post by themadhippy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm

put a nut on the male end to give you your lip
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:43 am

themadhippy wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:50 pm
put a nut on the male end to give you your lip
Cheers mad just sourcing some hex nuts as the last place is out of stock. Is it 1/2" or m20 nut s im looking for ?

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:52 am

Your looking for _1/2 inch BSP back nut.

Alan

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 am

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 am

One of these: https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps ... x-nut.html

Presumably you will need another one on the other side of the false bottom?
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:54 am

sbond10 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 pm
Looking at your s in the picture your elbow has a lip on the male threaded part mine doesnt

These washers were from a shipping engineers so not cheap crap ebay job s
not a lip, im no photographer, its the top end of the tapered thread thats bulked out with wrap of ptfe, the varying tolerances of the ebay m20 ss washers provided at least 1 that was a snug fit at the top of the thread taper.. the washer needed winding up the thread til it jammed..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(