What fridges are we using?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 am

I’m going to build a keggerator for the house.

Which fridges suit corni kegs well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

sonicated
Hollow Legs

Re: What fridges are we using?

Post by sonicated » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 am

I bought this freezer:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household ... 2-pdt.html

It holds three cornies and four with a collar, I control it with an Inkbird. I'm really happy with it.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am

New? When I was looking a couple of years ago a Hotpoint RLA36 was top of my list as the shelf hiding the compressor at the base occupied just one corner rather than running along the entire back of the fridge - two corny kegs fit easily.

Free/cheap? I was given a Hotpoint First Edition. To fit two corny kegs I had to hack away some plastic side shelf supports, hack away a bit of the plastic at the base of the door but I also had to bend the lower ice shelf 90 degrees down against the back of the fridge (dodgy as it I saw online it was possible to crack the cooling channels). It has been working fine with two corny kegs fitting very tightly.

Probably a list of suitable fridges on this or other beer forum?
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Post by m_rawdin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:25 am

I got a second hand Samsung fridge off ebay, the fridge part is taller than the freezer section and has some room left at the top for yeast etc.
Attachments
20170817_134555-1512x2016.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 am

I use a three-quarter height larder fridge and it is just right for corny kegs. They can sit on top of the compressor shelf and there is still enough room at the top for the disconnects and, above that, a shelf for storing yeast etc.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks!

I was more thinking about a under the counter type like a traditional kegerator because it’s going in the house.

New would be fine I’m just concerned about buying a new one and the kegs not fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint RLA36 as mentioned above. Fits 2 cornie or 20l Sankey kegs easily. I believe the RLA34 is the same size. Bought mine nearly new on EBay for about £40.

I will replace my other fridges with the same model when they eventually die!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 pm

2 undercounter Hotpoint RLA fridges.

1 connected to an STC containing 2 Crusader kegs and the other running off a BrewPi controller as a fermentation chamber.

Circa £40 each on eBay.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:04 am

The wife has offered to donated the wine cooler in the utility! So I’ll have play with the kegs on my next 4 off and report back.

It’s got a smoked glass front but I don’t see any issues with that.

GlenC
Sober

Post by GlenC » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:46 pm

[quote=alexlark post_id=834315 time=1529611778 user_id=12366]

1 connected to an STC containing 2 Crusader kegs and the other running off a BrewPi controller as a fermentation chamber.

Circa £40 each on eBay.
[/quote]

[quote=Digby post_id=834312 time=1529603733 user_id=13688]
Hi,

I have a Hotpoint RLA36 as mentioned above. Fits 2 cornie or 20l Sankey kegs easily. I believe the RLA34 is the same size. Bought mine nearly new on EBay for about £40.

Matt

[/quote]

Wonder if you guys could help - I'm planning on converting a Hotpoint RLA fridge this weekend, do you know if there are any cooling pipes in lid I need to be careful of and also in side for gas pipe as putting tower taps on?

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:50 pm

On a similar line, what would people advise as a fermentation fridge? Likely to be nearly new or new as I would prefer not to have the uncertainty of early demise!
I plan to use it with a fermentosaurus as they seem to be back in production judging by the Malt Miller site and the build quality of the current FV; FastFerment leaves much to be desired!

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:44 pm

GlenC wrote:
alexlark wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Circa £40 each on eBay.
Digby wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 pm
Hi,

Matt

Wonder if you guys could help - I'm planning on converting a Hotpoint RLA fridge this weekend, do you know if there are any cooling pipes in lid I need to be careful of and also in side for gas pipe as putting tower taps on?
Hi,

My experience and a lot of online guides show the cooling is all in the rear wall. I drilled the top and sides with no issues.

Matt

GlenC
Sober

Post by GlenC » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 am

Great Thanks!

just needed a bit of reassurance :D

No more hours of bottling for me =D>

Wiganbear
Tippler

Post by Wiganbear » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:33 pm

LeeH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:26 am
Thanks!

I was more thinking about a under the counter type like a traditional kegerator because it’s going in the house.

New would be fine I’m just concerned about buying a new one and the kegs not fitting.

I've just purchased this model s/h for £150, Mangrove Jacks do one that seems to fit 3 kegs in

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:On a similar line, what would people advise as a fermentation fridge? Likely to be nearly new or new as I would prefer not to have the uncertainty of early demise!
I plan to use it with a fermentosaurus as they seem to be back in production judging by the Malt Miller site and the build quality of the current FV; FastFerment leaves much to be desired!
Not due out until 2019 I don’t think.

A second option is to import a Catalyst system from across the pond but it will double the costs unfortunately. They do seem to be stronger and have a much superior trub system though.