Grainfather grain mill

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MashBag
Even further under the Table

Re: Grainfather grain mill

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 am

Guy,

That is a very good and very honest answer. Thank you.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:03 am

Pigster wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:09 am
Flip side is my 25kg sacks often last over 12 months and seem to resemble the hoover bag towards the bottom - maybe I should just ditch and buy new or the 5x5 option from TMM.
I divide my 25kg sack the day it arrives into 4 or 5kg tubs. They stack well, store well, are air tight, mouseproof and if measured exactly save time on brew day.

If you feed the birds fat ball tubs are free, and hold 4kg tightly.

Screenshot_20221127-060234_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20221127-060234_Google.jpg (292.85 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

Pigster
Steady Drinker

Post by Pigster » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:28 am

Great answer Guy, really helpful, thank you!

Pigster
Steady Drinker

Post by Pigster » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:30 am

MashBag wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:03 am
Pigster wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:09 am
Flip side is my 25kg sacks often last over 12 months and seem to resemble the hoover bag towards the bottom - maybe I should just ditch and buy new or the 5x5 option from TMM.
I divide my 25kg sack the day it arrives into 4 or 5kg tubs. They stack well, store well, are air tight, mouseproof and if measured exactly save time on brew day.

If you feed the birds fat ball tubs are free, and hold 4kg tightly.

Screenshot_20221127-060234_Google.jpg
Another good tip!

Does malt have a shelf life? Once 12 months has gone is it ok? I usually crush a bit between my teeth, if it tastes ok it is!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 pm

Malt does have a limited shelf life, but kept dry and away from vermin it will last more than a year. The first sign of deterioration is usually when the malt goes slack and extraction potential is reduced, but this can be more difficult to assess in sacks of pre-crushed malt due to settlement. This should not happen when milling your own, and further, be crushed to best suit your brewing equipment and setup.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Eric wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:23 pm
Malt does have a limited shelf life, but kept dry and away from vermin it will last more than a year. The first sign of deterioration is usually when the malt goes slack and extraction potential is reduced, but this can be more difficult to assess in sacks of pre-crushed malt due to settlement. This should not happen when milling your own, and further, be crushed to best suit your brewing equipment and setup.
That's the important bit! The extraction potential of crushed malt definitely drops with time. Over the 4-5 months I stored my 5kg bags of crushed grain there was a steady drop in efficiency totalling about 5 percentage points, sometimes a bit more. Not critical, but I assumed (no evidence for this) there might also be a drop in quality. Taste and body. Maybe, maybe not.

Mr Pigster; do you work out your mash efficiency?

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:36 am

😁😁 You could be forgiven for thinking Guy is on commission 😁😁

I am always left with the question: buy a mill or buy more than a quarter of a tonne of malt... And that is a lot of beer?

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:49 pm

MashBag wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:36 am
😁😁 You could be forgiven for thinking Guy is on commission 😁😁 If only!

I am always left with the question: buy a mill or buy more than a quarter of a tonne of malt... And that is a lot of beer? Or buy both?
Guy

LeeH
Under the Table

Grainfather grain mill

Post by LeeH » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:47 pm

A mill makes sense for me, fine tune your crush for maximum efficiency, and buy malt by the 25kg sack for 19 quid from the local micro.
Last edited by LeeH on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

If you need convincing as to why you should buy whole grains and crush them or buy ready crushed try this.
Put some crushed grain in a bucket and give it a good shake. Take a look afterwards and you will clearly see that the husks have come to the suface and that any flour has settled on the bottom. Which means you are not getting the correct weight of whole grain into your mash tun.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:47 am

Absolutely. This is why dividing the sack up immediately into airtight 4kg containers is important.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:26 am

MashBag wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:47 am
Absolutely. This is why dividing the sack up immediately into airtight 4kg containers is important.
By which time the problem I highlighted has already happened and the malt in each container has a different composition. Made worse by the fact that it has not only been shaken up in transport but then again disturbed by the transfer to different containers
The only answer is to weigh the grain required for the brew and then crush it. Thus insuring that you have the correct mix of grain in the mash tun.

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:29 pm

There is no one way. We all choose our own path.

Many enjoy the process and the processing and I get that.

Me, I am (rightly or wrongly) logical and environmentally friendly (that used to be called "tight" and yet to hear a substantial reason for buying a mill when in the UK it comes already done (and works fine for me) and I save £250 & imo an unnecessary step.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:51 pm

MashBag wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:29 pm
There is no one way. We all choose our own path.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing
There is a field
I will meet you there

RUMI

Alone we travel faster

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:33 pm

IPA wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:51 pm

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing
There is a field
I will meet you there

RUMI
Interesting, I thought you might have quoted,

When you set out on a journey, do not seek advice from those who have never left home.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.