Refractometer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Refractometer

Post by PeeBee » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:25 pm

Eric wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:17 pm
... Vastly easier than using a hydrometer and equally accurate.
Oh, come on Eric, you know that will only wind me up ... Ghah, too late:

My best tip is use a Pyknometer! "Easier than using a hydrometer and" vastly more "accurate".

:D
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:31 pm

Eric wrote:
Trefoyl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:36 pm
Even coverage is needed so I confess I’m a drowner outer. I want to be sure I get a good sample with no dilution. The plastic flap squeezes out any excess.
Me too. Frequent washes between readings, dried with a clean soft cloth, and further readings if any doesn't fit with previous ones. Also it is vital when taking a kettle reading during sparging and there is likelihood of layering, that the wort be stirred. Vastly easier than using a hydrometer and equally accurate.
Good point on the stirring of the wort or you can get very misleading readings.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:41 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:25 pm
Eric wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:17 pm
... Vastly easier than using a hydrometer and equally accurate.
Oh, come on Eric, you know that will only wind me up ... Ghah, too late:

My best tip is use a Pyknometer! "Easier than using a hydrometer and" vastly more "accurate".

:D
I'm (maybe "was" would be more truthful) an engineer, not a scientist.

What is an engineer? Someone who can make or do something that works for five bob that any damn fool can make or do for a quid.

When buying my refractometer, Chinese of course, there were lots of caveats being bandied about and I wasn't sure what would be found.There was little need for concern. I will repeat that calibration is affected by the instrument's temperature, put it in a fridge for while if you have doubts.

My main system is 3V, and sparging is the key to high mash efficiency. Charting gravity of runnings and extraction has enabled almost total extraction of sugars from the mash in respectable times.

So yes PeeBee, your pyknometer would be more accurate for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th decimal places of percentage efficiency, but a refractometer serves my purpose.

:wink:
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:12 am

Ah, pooh. I'm also an "engineer". A scientific engineer! And I make ...

... the most elaborate fibs about here.

It's good to see you now spell "pyknometer" with a "K". None of that sissy "sea" stuff. Just proof that everyone caves into my extraordinary intellect eventually! And ... hang on ... (what you want?.... but I dunna want t'go to bed ...). Got to go, bye.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:21 am

Trefoyl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:36 pm
Even coverage is needed so I confess I’m a drowner outer. I want to be sure I get a good sample with no dilution. The plastic flap squeezes out any excess.
Nicely put.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:07 am

I stir the wort and squirt a moderate quantity onto the prism, closing the plastic lid squeezes out the excess.

I confess I am onto my second refractometer. The first had 2 accidents, one permitted its' continued use, but the second made replacement necessary.

The first incident was me dropping the refractometer on the concrete floor of the garage, partly breaking the plastic cover and the metal hinge, but with care I was still able to get the cover to sit nicely on the prism. The cover was, however, wont to detach itself from the body of the refractometer which ultimately led to the fatal incident (for the refractometer)...the plastic cover fell off...into the grainfather. I honestly can't recall whether I was mashing or boiling at the time, but when the cover was retrieved it was distorted beyond being useful. So I had to dip my hand into my wallet - always a challenge when ones arms are short and pockets long!

The replacement one (from Malt Miller) is a definite improvement on the first, the calibration screw being happy to stay where I put it, whereas the first had a locking nut to hold the calibration screw in place which had a tendency to come loose...and lose calibration!
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:10 pm

Has anyone got or used one of the refractometers with a build in LED? I’m just curious about how they perform.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:52 am

I cannot help but think it's unnecessary. Why / how would you brew in the dark anyway?

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:59 am

Lots of people brew in the dark. Or so it seems
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Poor lighting in a garage or other brewing area.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:51 pm

OK, but I have never needed extra light. Strikes me as another problem that didn't need fixing (or perhaps a battery to corrode inside)

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:55 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:04 pm
Poor lighting in a garage or other brewing area.
A garage is my brewery and an open door during daylight is the perfect light source for reading a refractometer. Usually there is one optimum target in most locations, but a open door in comparative darkness, only the instrument's elevation needs to be altered to get a stark and easily observed reading.

I agree with IPA that some brewers have difficulty finding the light.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

thepatchworkdoll
Piss Artist

Post by thepatchworkdoll » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi I concur with Eric. For what its worth I always brew in my garage and tend to keep the lights off most of the time and I always point my refactometer to the open door when Im taking my readings.
Regards
Patch

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:54 pm

I agree with IPA that some brewers have difficulty finding the light.
Nothing to do with refractometers tho 😂😂