Removing Limescale from 100l pan

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Removing Limescale from 100l pan

Post by Meatymc » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:07 pm

Bought a job lot of 2nd hand gear a while back which included a 100L pan that I'll never use and intend either selling-on or, if no takers, see if any of the clubs/charities etc can make use of it.

It's really heavily encrusted with limescale that I've made minimal impact on using all sorts of supposed remedies - various acids, off-the-shelf removers, bloody lot of elbow grease etc. Getting to the point where I'm left with either sanding :shock: or polishing but am open to any other ideas? Really don't want to 'sand' so if polishing, would have to be drill attachment with suitable wheel/brush/polish but can't seem to get a sensible answer on which/what combinations.

Any ideas?

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Removing Limescale from 100l pan

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 pm

You might be able to find something softer than stainless but hard enough to chisel off the bulk of the limescale. Then finish off with Citric acid and boiling water.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:35 pm

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like limescale. Citric, or any other, acid would be seen in action instantly if it was. Has the vessel been used for brewing in the past? If it has, it could likely be beerstone, calcium oxalate, deposited during fermentation.

It's a sod to remove from stainless steel if allowed to dry, vastly easier if tackled immediately upon transfer. Also some types of stainless are worse than others, particularly some cheaper grades.

I could get it off plastic with a mix of EDTA and caustic soda, but that doesn't seem to work as well on stainless.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:19 pm

vacant wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:52 pm
Then finish off with Citric acid and boiling water.
Tried citric amongst others but maybe Eric has enlightened me!
Eric wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:35 pm
If it has, it could likely be beerstone, calcium oxalate, deposited during fermentation.
I've been assuming it's limescale but I have to say I always thought it odd being so heavily and evenly coated except for a couple of odd small areas which are totally clear. And yes, as far as I know, it was brewed with. Just done a quick 'Google' on images and several of the 'beerstone' images seem to match more or less what I have - including the small clear areas.

Seems there may be some ways to attempt removal but given I don't use it myself won't be throwing much money at it - just seems a waste if not easily solvable.

Thanks for your help.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:14 pm

Try spraying it with quadruple concentrate Starsan or similar. May do the trick.

Guy

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:11 am

I am with Eric. Its not limescale.
Research Milkstone remover. It is very similar to beer stone remover, but more available & less expensive.