Agitator pump bit broken

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Goosey
Piss Artist

Agitator pump bit broken

Post by Goosey » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:27 am

My chiller wasn't sending the cold water to the cooling jacket on my handpump so I took the pump apart and found this...Image
Has anyone got a spare or know where I could get one?

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Agitator pump bit broken

Post by PeeBee » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:37 am

Your "agitator" will work. Just reassemble without the broken pump impeller and make sure you refit that red propeller (the "agitator").

Now fit a small pump anywhere in the cooling circuit (doesn't have to be in the cooler). The pump will need to be a self-primer type (cheap diaphragm pump will do). The pump doesn't need to be too strong, in fact a powerful pump might cause problems. That'll fix you up while you get a more "permanent" affair. You'll have to figure out how to power the pump and a diaphragm pump will effectively close the cooling circuit when stopped. Even if the impeller pump was working the pressure buildup in the closed circuit will be negligible. Watch out - the pressure buildup with a diaphragm pump won't be negligible! That's why they are "self-primers".

I'm looking at a similar setup ... the pumps in those coolers are pathetic!
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

JonB
Steady Drinker

Post by JonB » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:33 pm

Hallamshire Brewery Services do refurbishing and repairs, they may be able to source you a spare if you give them a ring?

https://www.hallamshire.co.uk/

[EDIT]: Just missed that you are in SW France, that might not fly then my apologies :oops:

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:12 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:37 am

Now fit a small pump anywhere in the cooling circuit (doesn't have to be in the cooler).

I'm looking at a similar setup ... the pumps in those coolers are pathetic!
I've actually just ordered a small aquarium pump that will fit between the coils inside the water bath. I don't see any reason why this won't do the same job. I can put a t-piece on the output to use as an agitator.

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:08 pm

I've fitted the pump, a small aquarium pump for about 30€. It works perfectly. Absolutely silent too. I can't see why this shouldn't work just as well as the original pump.