hi-gene beer engine

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
delboy

hi-gene beer engine

Post by delboy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:32 pm

just got this from ebay £21 :D all in, no postage i hope since the seller was in belfast (a beer engine in N.I. is like rocking horse number 2s).

Not sure how much works needs done to it, might work perfectly, but even if it is knackered its still a decorative item for 20 squid.

Oh yes the question, has anyone got one of these hi-gene engines and if so what do people think of them, any cop??

BTW this is probably the first of many beer engine related questions :D

shedman

Hi Gene beer engine

Post by shedman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Got a couple of these just recently, seem to work fine. There are some good threads on the forum about beer engines. I iontend using mine with cornies, from what I gather we will need to have a gas system to keep a blanket of co2 over the beer. I have tried one pump connected to a king keg but the pressure in the barrel was too high and forced beer straight through the pump, either that or some seals need replacing. Im looking at getting the following

Gas cylinder
Pressure regulator
Cask breather
Non return valve

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Doesn't look like it's in bad shape, have you tried pumping water through it yet?

I could do with a cask breather and no return valve but I'm getting by with just CO2 and a regulator at the moment.

delboy

Post by delboy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 pm

Its all polished up and ive pumped copious amounts of water through it, its a half pint pull and seems to work fine. No suction on the back pull etc, i have to say im very chuffed with it and really looking forward to getting some real beer dispensed with it.
Im going to order one of those check rlease valves from farrars on monday along with a creamer tip.