How to controll the 24V mag pumps.

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
Cazamodo

How to controll the 24V mag pumps.

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Im thinking of getting a couple of 24V mag pumps from mrlard, one for hlt recirc/sparge (I planned to use just one pump for this, but as I typed this I realised I may want to re-circ the HLT while sparging) and another for HERMS/pumping to boiler, and then finally for boiler to fermenter via plate chiller.

Im hoping to be able to control them from my control panel, anyone done this? With a 24v supply and then potentiometer or similar? Seems like that may take up rather alot of space in the enclosure.

I also have a march may pump still, but not sure what to use it for... as it would have to manually be restricted to lower flow rate.

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Re: How to controll the 24V mag pumps.

Post by themadhippy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:22 pm

what sort of current do these pumps take? if under 1A then an lm317 varible voltage requlator circuit will do,very simple circuit and fairly compact,if its more than 1A but less than 5a then use an lm338
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:44 pm

I believe its 3A but will double check.

Thanks, looks simple enough!

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:34 pm

I have two powered from my control panel. I found a DIN mount 24V transformer. Since they're mag coupled you can restrict the outflow with a valve either on the pump or on the input to the vessel.

If you plan to fly sparge then you'll need two pumps unless your pots are at different heights.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Sun May 11, 2014 8:02 am

Yea I plan to have two.

Do you have a link to the transformer at all?

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:52 am

Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun May 11, 2014 10:11 am

I just use a ball valve. Works perfectly. If it's not enough you can fit a bypass to the pump and reduce flow even more

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Mon May 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Id like to try and attempt to control them from the panel electronically. May plumb in a ball valve just in case anyway if that fails.

I bought a couple of pre-made LM338 circuits as they were cheap and looked reasonably compact. These ones http://www.audiowind.com/pdf/A-210.pdf

I plan to wire on a RV24 potentiometer if I can, where the adjuster is.

I had planned on using one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/360766354787?va ... 1497.l2649 to power each one.

The 24V 3A BUT I'm not sure they're going to actually work now.

mrlard

Post by mrlard » Tue May 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Gents these things won't work with a Pot. The only way to control them is restricting the outlet with a valve

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue May 13, 2014 1:06 pm

mrlard wrote:Gents these things won't work with a Pot. The only way to control them is restricting the outlet with a valve
Ball valve it is then! I haven't ordered the pumps yet, maybe Ill go with Solar pumps for electronic control instead.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Why the preference for panel control? That was my aim initially but its actually more useful to have the control next to the outlet so you can see what's happening. The 24V pumps are really good.

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Tue May 13, 2014 3:15 pm

och29 wrote:Why the preference for panel control? That was my aim initially but its actually more useful to have the control next to the outlet so you can see what's happening. The 24V pumps are really good.
Just wanted everything in one place. To bo honest I always ended up chopping and changing things with my last set-up, it may well happen with my new one.

That and the fact I like buttons a knobs and shiny things. :roll:

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:40 pm

The draw of the shiney is a strong one! I've been caught out by it many times!

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:22 pm

A ball valve will work, but a DC power supply coupled to a PWM controller is the way to go with DC motors. Unlike a linear voltage regulator-based control circuit, a pulse-width modulation (PWM) control circuit does not produce a lot of waste heat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... _PrefLoc=1

YeastWhisperer

Post by YeastWhisperer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:31 pm

mrlard wrote:Gents these things won't work with a Pot. The only way to control them is restricting the outlet with a valve

Not if the pump has a DC motor! A magnetic pump with a DC motor will happy run with a PWM controller. In fact, the AC March pumps can be run off TRIAC-based fan motor controllers because they have shaded pole motors.