See-through RIMs tube?

A forum for those who boldy recirculate where no man has. .... you know the rest
EccentricDyslexic

See-through RIMs tube?

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:31 am

I have been having problems with my 2kw cartridge heater in a 22mm copper tube scorching wort and giving off flavours, so have decided to redesign.
Then I found mrlards brewbuilder site and saw he sells nice shiny rims tubes! Very tempted, but then I saw he also sells a fantastic sight glass( https://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/triclamp- ... glass.html ) and thought, "I wonder if he could make a RIMs tube with a see through tube instead of stainless?"
I think this would be a great solution for keeping an eye on wort clarity, element fizzing(therefore wort scorching) and element cleanliness following CIP :D

I have emailed him and hope he can do one for me, if he can, will post pics here :=P

Cheers

Steve

Belter

Re: See-through RIMs tube?

Post by Belter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:11 pm

This is a bad idea.

The glass could crack. Those sight tubes are actually tiny. The problem you have here is a HWD element. Lard sells LWD elements that are stainless and will solve your problem. Mine comes out clean after a brew. No scorched wort.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:09 am

I cant see that the glass is likely to crack, pyrex glass tube is very strong and very heat and shock resistant (think solar tubes) and there are also plastic tubes available that are strong and clear too which can do the job but probably more likely to scratch.

A quick google and 1500mm (which is enough to make 3 clear rims tubes) of 50mm diameter 1.9mm thick pyrex glass pipe is £21 (upwards depending on thickness)

Anyhow, will see what mrlard comes up with. I suspect he is away at the moment though.

Cheers,

Steve

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 am

Actually you have a point. These sight glasses are used for boiling wort in large breweries. Not directly though with an element.

The ones I've seen would still be too small though.

Plastic would discolour. Is it foodsafe?

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:23 am

Belter, What kind of diameter would be required if using mrlard's LWD elements to ensure the element doesn't touch the glass tube? His website has no dimensions on it.

I see brewpi sell a very nice and cheap (and shiny!) LWD element too, mrlard seems to be out of stock at the mo.

I think I'd prefer the glass though over plastic; it will be hard to break, scratch and won't discolour. Having said that, there are brewers on here that have plastic sight/level tubes on there pots I'm sure. So they will be food safe I'm sure.

Steve

Belter

Post by Belter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:15 am

At a guess his elements are 300mm long and 40mm wide. These sight glasses are about 70mm long.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:26 am

Belter wrote:At a guess his elements are 300mm long and 40mm wide. These sight glasses are about 70mm long.
I should have a 1.5" Triclamp 34mm Sight glass in my hands in a week to 10 days . . . I'm using it to harvest yeast from the conical.

If you take a look at them, it should be simple enough to make them any length you want, you just replace the 4 lengths of stainless rod with one of appropriate size . . . and the same for the tube. The issue is going to be getting one of an appropriate diameter to take the element LWD elements appear to be quite long, and folded over, a LWD cartridge heater is what is required. . . . but then what sort of wattage do you really need for rims? I would think in an insulated system 1KW should be plenty

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 am

1kw is a bit marginal, 3kw seems to be most in use. https://store.brewpi.com/mashing/heating-elements

especially with PID switching it on an off as needed.

Cheers

Steve

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:22 am

Assuming the PID algorithm is good enough (*), then it doesn't matter what element you use as long as it's big enough :D

Something like Yjis one will be good but needing a 1 /1/4" hole (31.5mm) it's somewhat marginal in a 1.5" triclamp fitting . . . which means you are looking at 2" possibly 2.5 . . . Which Are available >>> HERE <<<, but then you have the issue of trying to get them to fit to your other bits of TriClamp . . . which means Reducers Etc.

(*) I'm Going Brew Pi for fridge control ;)

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks for that, I didn't even think sight glasses would be on eBay! Is that mrlard's sight glass you have on its way to you?
I am awaiting a reply from him, does anyone have his number they could pm me?(with his permission of course)

Cheers

Steve

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:34 am

No mine is a China one. My intention was to get everything I needed in one order . . . It didn't happen, one was my mistake and one the suppliers so I'm having to wait before I can commission the Chronical in the way I wanted too :evil:

Must admit though I am impressed with the quality of the parts I've got so far, apart from the clamps, what appear to have very stiff threads . . . nothing a quick run up an down with a die won't resolve though.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm

a 1.5" triclamp sight glass wont be wide enough for an element.. i use one for seeing the yeast dump from a conical ;)

they are available in larger diameters but the length is such, to contain a mrlard lwd element you will need 2x or 3x or more ;)

they should contain the heat ok as they can be used to build plated column distillation towers..

http://www.stpats.com/manuals/MEP%20man ... Sizing.pdf should be useful in determining what size would work, i would allow at least 10mm extra on the radius of any internal bore to insulate the glass from too direct heat..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-89MM-Flow ... 3aa5f24b28

Though you could just add a single sight glass length to the setup..

not a practical solution, but would make a very eye catching feature and probably a hypnotic view when in use..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Fil. Have managed to make contact with the elusive mrlard:-) apparently the glass sight will fit in the middle of his rims tubes, and customers have done this before. I suspect the glass must be a similar ID as the rims tube itself so the element should pass straight through! Needless to say...order submitted :o

Only issue now is one of sensor position. Mrlard sells normal sensors but not onewire. So I am left with using a thermowell with a onewire sensor at the bottom of a thermowell, or putting one in the hose as the rims return flows into the mash tun.

Mrlard says the thermowell will delay the sensed temperature, but I only check the temp every 2 seconds anyway so am wondering if this will be an issue?

Steve

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:05 am

Aleman wrote: I should have a 1.5" Triclamp 34mm Sight glass in my hands in a week to 10 days . . . I'm using it to harvest yeast from the conical.
Agh now that has piqued my interest (see Unicorns thread as to why) can you tell me more about this?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer