Lagers

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
jacobcolbruno

Lagers

Post by jacobcolbruno » Thu May 21, 2015 11:24 pm

Lagers does anybody brew them. Im wondering becuase im thinking about buying a minifridge and giving it a try.

AnthonyUK

Re: Lagers

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri May 22, 2015 7:53 am

Hi,
Lager isn't a beer style but a production method which traditionally meant it was stored for a period of time usually over winter.
It is possible to make very good 'lager' types but it is possibly the most time consuming and process intensive to do but thankfully there are a few shortcuts that can be done without having a massive impact.
If brewing AG you will need suitable water and for all methods plenty of yeast, temperature control and possible a D rest at 50-75% through the ferment.
With refrigeration the lagering process can be shortened if you can get the temp down low enough e.g. -1°c.

There is an article on Brulosopher that explains using some of the shortcuts - http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Another method that I have used is with Nottingham yeast at 14°c which also works well with results much better than a standard 'lager' kit that uses ale yeast at regular temps.
Due to the lower temps though fermentation does take a bit longer.

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 am

You can get fake lagers with us05 as well.

Lagers are time consuming to make, but any brewer with temp control can do them. Really worth it if you can pull it off, I have tasted some great home brewed lager

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri May 22, 2015 1:31 pm

If you want a lager like beer, then you can ferment Nottingham yeast cooler (13-15C) or, better still, a Kolsch yeast (WLP029) at the same temperature. These will ferment faster than a lager and don't require weeks of cold conditioning to clear up.

If you let it rise over 15 degrees you'll get something increasingly like an ale, although frankly if you carb it up well and cool the end beer well before serving, most lager drinkers wouldn't have a clue.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

jacobcolbruno

Post by jacobcolbruno » Sun May 24, 2015 3:44 am

Thanks for all the good information us 05 is one of my favorite yeasts becuase its so simple i think ill start by expirementing with cold well carbonated ales

AFewTooMany

Post by AFewTooMany » Sun May 24, 2015 12:39 pm

Anyone have experience with mangrove jacks workhorse?

colin.m.hammond

Post by colin.m.hammond » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:23 pm

[quote="AFewTooMany"]Anyone have experience with mangrove jacks workhorse?[/quote]
I just brewed with it. I would highly recommend it. I had really clear wort to start with and the yeast fermented really quickly with a small maybe 1 cm thick yeast cake after 10 days. Produced a very clean almost lager ish ale. Started with an OG of 1.044 and ended at 1.009.

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 pm

I tried a lager using whitelabs Czech pils yeast. No temperature control, but used the Aberdeen winter climate for my cold fermentation and conditioning. This worked pretty well, but can only be done in the winter