New water treatment calculator

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
Graham

New water treatment calculator

Post by Graham » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I have written a browser-based water treatment calculator. It will eventually end up on a web site somewhere, but anyone who wishes to play with it are welcome. It will run standalone.

If you are interested P.M. me an email address, I'll send it to you.

Be warned, though, that it is quite complicated and might take a bit of a learning curve. Also, it is very much in the beta stage - I am sure that all the mistakes have not been found yet.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 am

For those wishing to try out Graham's calculator it's available here:-

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/water/water.html

It's in Beta so will be changing as Graham makes modifications.
Dan!

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Many thanks to Andy for putting the water calculator up on Jim's BK. That has saved me the problem of distributing updates to lots of people.

Thanks to Jim for allowing it.

Thanks to DaaB who probably instigated it going on to Jim's BK, in the first place.

And, this is going to surprise him, thanks to Vossy, whose questions on water treatment in another thread prompted me to write it. I thought: hang on - there has to be a way of removing the mystery from this water-treatment lark.

I am (probably) more pleased than Vossy about his recent success with water treatment, but for selfish reasons. Vossy's success exemplifies stuff that I have been pontificating about for years; and it does make my chest puff out a little bit with a "Told you so" attitude (Not directed at Vossy, but directed at the non-believers), when something goes to plan.

It also proves that soft water can be dealt with, which was something that was giving me some concern after reading some posts on here. I have never lived in a soft water area so I have little experience of the stuff.

Ho-Ho! Vossy - you have inadvertently lifted a significant weight from the heavily-burdened mind of an old man - thank you again.

Many thanks to those who were are good enough to play with the beta version of the calculator (it still is beta by the way)

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Wow :oops:

I'm glad my incessant questioning may have, in some way, made water treatment less of a hazy issue for others :roll: :lol:

GTOrichie

Post by GTOrichie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 am

Its a cracking program, so easy to use that even I understand it and when it comes to water treatment I haven't a clue, it did confirm that the things that I had worked out on paper were correct but it also pointed out other things that I had overlooked.

Nice 1!

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:17 am

It works great and simplifies things a lot.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks chaps!

I hope it turns out to be useful in the long term; I lost quite a lot of hair during the couple of weeks it took me to write it. It was a bit ambitious for my first serious attempt at JavaScript. I am only a couple of years away from my free bus-pass, but up to a fortnight ago I still had a full head of hair - different colour (grey) from my youth - but at least I still had it all.

Don't be polite. Don't worry about pointing out any up-cocks you come across, or anything else that concerns you. Any suggestions that will correct it or improve it will be most welcome.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 am

Graham wrote:Thanks to Jim for allowing it.

Thanks to DaaB who probably instigated it going on to Jim's BK, in the first place.
I didn't ask them :oops:

:D
Dan!

eskimobob

Post by eskimobob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:01 am

I have very soft water and have never done anything to treat it other than Campden to get rid of Chlorine but I like Stout so that probably didn't matter :wink:

After Vossy's thread I started investigating water treatment by reading the section in Dave Line's BBOB. I then had a play around with Brewater to determine some figures and created some water profiles in Beersmith.

Graham's post came at the right moment and I was interested to try it out. Having experimented with it, I think it is great and it definitely produces results that more accurately meet the desired target water profile than Brewater does - by quite some margin 8)

Measuring out small quantities of salts could be tricky though. I do have a set of mini balance scales that are more of an ornament but might have to get pressed into action. It occurred to me whether it would be practical to premix the salts in say a litre of water - what I mean is - if I need say 0.35g of a salt in a 19 litre brew, could I put 3.5g in a litre of water and then put 100ml of the water into my mash?

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 am

Nice app! 8)
Will be used on the next brew day together with my newly aquired Palintest kit.
Should be able to get my CRS and DLS additions just right.

Well done Graham =D> =D> =D>
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 pm

Eskimobob - would 01.g be fine enough?

I believe they have other uses known to Her Maj's Constabularies...

I got one when they were on special. Might find one on fleabay, as long as it come with the original calibrating weight.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Andy wrote:
Graham wrote:Thanks to Jim for allowing it.

I didn't ask them :oops:

:D
Whoops! Sorry. I assumed that Daab had asked you to do it.

Daab was talking about getting shoved up, you only beat him by milliseconds, but he was going to wait until any bugs had been discovered and sorted.

Nothing stopping him putting it up on 18000 feet though.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:34 pm

eskimobob wrote: Measuring out small quantities of salts could be tricky though. I do have a set of mini balance scales that are more of an ornament but might have to get pressed into action. It occurred to me whether it would be practical to premix the salts in say a litre of water - what I mean is - if I need say 0.35g of a salt in a 19 litre brew, could I put 3.5g in a litre of water and then put 100ml of the water into my mash?
Yes agreed, that's always been a problem.

What you suggest would work fine.

The way I have tackled it in the past is to tare out the weight of a straight-sided clear tube on my electronic kitchen scales, fill the tube with stuff; and then weigh the lot. Work out what length of the total length represents the weight I want, and tip out or scoop out an appropriate amount. Flat-bottomed test tubes; the tubes that liquid yeast comes in, trial jars and so on are all suitable vessels.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:41 pm

mixbrewery wrote:Nice app! 8)
Will be used on the next brew day together with my newly aquired Palintest kit.
Should be able to get my CRS and DLS additions just right.

Well done Graham =D> =D> =D>
Thanks.

I suppose that if I found out the ratio of sulphate to chloride in DLS, I could put a DLS setting in the ratio boxes if a suitable ratio does not already exist. That would certainly please Clive Donald. I owe him a favour or two.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Graham, that looks nice! 8)

(Obviously Andy realised I would be over the moon to host it without having to ask. :wink: :lol: )

I already have Gypsum and my Epsom Salts and Calcium Chloride flakes arrived today from Leyland HB, so I'll be trying it out for real later tonight! :=P
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter