Re: Water Treatment Videos

(That's water to the rest of us!) Beer is about 95% water, so if you want to discuss water treatment, filtering etc this is the place to do it!
retourrbx

Re: Water Treatment Videos & Salifert KH Test

Post by retourrbx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

This is a useful test that I have just used and calculated my water to be around 17mg/l CaCO3 - the colour changed after next to no addition.

Water source is Dousland North, being piped through to Tavistock http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&sou ... a=N&tab=wl

Am I right in thinking that for pale ales and bitters, an addition of Gypsum will do the mash good, providing Calcium - if so, how much would be good for a 23L brew?

Thanks for all the info - very useful :)

retourrbx

Post by retourrbx » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Hardness Total as Ca - 11.68mg/l
Sulphate - 19.72mg/l
Chloride - 12.36mg/l

Does that make a difference to anything I would do? Am I correct in thinking the figure that I got using the test kit is supposed to be similar to the first reading?

Got a report from SW Water within a few days of sending an email... which is nice!

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:53 am

Hi chris,soduim met and citric acid,where can i purchase these,if in most supermarkets,are they packaged with a brand name.

Could you give a quick summary in what order the tests for water treatment should be carried out before you commence brewday,ie do you use sod met before testing alkalinity.

Regards Graham

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi chris,have done a few salifert tests today,with most of the tests coming out at 0.26ish= 4.23meq/L at just the point before it turns pink.This gives me a reading of 211.5,which is a lot less than portsmouth water quoted me a while back,for a 12 month average,which was 236.

Could this be right,a 25 point difference?

Portsmouth has very chalky water,so i was expecting something slightly higher than you were getting.

I knew citric acid was not for water treatment,sorry for any confusion,should have made my post a bit clearer,cheers for the advanced warning just in case.

Graham.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 am

As Chris says discrepancies are easily possible . . . . For the last 20 years we have had water really low in alkalinity (Very soft - Its scared of Telly tubbies!) With an average for the last 2 years of around 25 +/- 5ppm . . .When I brewed this weekend I measured it at 130! United utilities are playing silly beggars drawing it from another source !!

Doingatun
Piss Artist

Post by Doingatun » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Aleman wrote:For the last 20 years we have had water really low in alkalinity (Very soft - Its scared of Telly tubbies!) With an average for the last 2 years of around 25 +/- 5ppm . . .When I brewed this weekend I measured it at 130! United utilities are playing silly beggars drawing it from another source !!
Hi Aleman

Haweswater Water supply code: Z053......Tested my supply Alkalinity yesterday with a Salifert kit 17 mg/l...always around 15 or 17. UU lab quoted 13.4 ages ago. Mine has less of a journey tho.
2016 10 Brews 422 Pints
2015 11 Brews 464 Pints
Total Brews 2006-to-date 149 = 6293 Pints

adeybambam

Post by adeybambam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Just a quick question - when you pull up the reagent into the syringe, I know that some air is also pulled up and there is no need to worry about it. But do you pull the top of the plunger (i.e the end of it) up to the 1ml mark? If I do that, the actual reagent is up to about .85 with the rest being air. Does that sound about right?

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes that's right, pull the plunger up to 1ml, dont worry about the amount of fluid.....the total fluid in the syringe and in the plastic tip is 1ml when the end of the plunger is positioned at 1ml

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold