Astonish Oxy-Plus - Dilution quantity?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
BarrowBoy

Post by BarrowBoy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:24 am

Keviebaby wrote:Did a test of the stuff that I've got and it's unperfumed (phew!) left the bucket smelling nicely of nothing so I've done my brewbin as well, it's good stuff. It wasn't heavily soiled but it had some crusty stuff on it but after a soak and rinse it just came right off. If I'm lucky and I get chance tonight, a quick sanitise and I'll get a Geordie Bitter in!

Kev
Thanks Kev - saves me having to inhale any unpleasant substances now.

paddyfilm

Re: Astonish Oxy-Plus - Dilution quantity?

Post by paddyfilm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Hello

I've just got Astonish Oxy Active from Poundland. Is this the same thing as Astonish Oxy Plus? Active ingredient is Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate.

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 am

I use this stuff as well, checking their website they have the full ingredients as the below.

Ingredients List
Product: Oxi Active
Ingredient
1 Sodium carbonate peroxide
2 Sodium Carbonate

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm

use in warm water and add 1 scoop perhaps 2 to a 5gallon fermentor and let it sit for 20 minutes..
in a corny no more than 1 x scoop and if you want it more concentrated only use 11l of water and upturn the keg 1/2 way thru the soak.. (give it twice as long too)

any higher concentration and you run the risk of crystals growing and welding themselves to your vessels base as the solution cools and if left too long.
(ok i left it overnight when it happened to me when attempting to degrease my thermopot tun after building)
I ended up using a SS scraper and kettle fulls of boiling water scraping off the crystal residue i had amassed..
If you get this in bottles bin em, or consider using a volatile acid..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Fil wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:06 pm
use in warm water and add 1 scoop perhaps 2 to a 5gallon fermentor and let it sit for 20 minutes..
in a corny no more than 1 x scoop and if you want it more concentrated only use 11l of water and upturn the keg 1/2 way thru the soak.. (give it twice as long too)

any higher concentration and you run the risk of crystals growing and welding themselves to your vessels base as the solution cools and if left too long.
(ok i left it overnight when it happened to me when attempting to degrease my thermopot tun after building)
I ended up using a SS scraper and kettle fulls of boiling water scraping off the crystal residue i had amassed..
If you get this in bottles bin em, or consider using a volatile acid..
Yes, I agree, having had the evil deposit from Oxi :evil: and had to rinse a load of bottles in strong Star San to get rid. 2 Scoops per 5 gallons max. It still cleans fine.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re:

Post by Fil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

mixbrewery wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:56 pm
Can the solution be re-used from one dirty vessel to another or has the cleaning power been used up?

I tried the reuse method with my IanB cornies and have noticed some are not as clean as others.
Yes as long as the solution feels soapy/slippy its thinning/wetting the water to act as a better solvent, while still warm is best for the full on action tho the rising o2 will help lift grime and that dies down when the liquid has cooled right down.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

malhal
Sober

Post by malhal » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:51 am

I tested Poundland Astonish Oxy Active Plus at the weekend and posted images of my experience here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/PTAwaoW

You can see about one inch of the bottom of the boiler is now shiny. I put one scoop in my boiler with 1L of boiling water, and it fizzed away and the brown grime just peeled away from the fitting threads like magic it also did a great job on the ring where the base meets the side. I'm not sure how many scoops I will need to fill the whole boiler to the right concentration so the whole height of the sides get cleaned but will experiment, my boiler is the 20L Qualtex QUAMIS883.

I had gone to Lidl first but found the old Lidl W5 Oxy has possibly been replaced with Lidl Formil Oxy which had perfumes listed in the ingredients.