Using Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
RabMaxwell

Using Starsan

Post by RabMaxwell » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello all :D i have ordered some Starsan but never used it i think my water should be ok to mix as it's very soft scottish water.The thing i want to know could i store my hoses & fittings ect in a closed lid bucket in between brew sessions or would thet go slimy. :D

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Using Starsan

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Rab, here's a few links to Starsan info (they may or may not answer your question, though! :wink: ).

Interview with Charlie Talley (inventor of Starsan)

Harry Clelland's experiment

Daab's experiment
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:17 pm

Cheers Jim just ordered some lower range Ph papers just incase. :D

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 am

Hello all does anyone know the correct concentration of Star San to add to one litre if using in a spray bottle.I read in a us forum 1.5 mils per litre is about right :?: . Cheers

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am

I use a ml in 500ml which I think is a tad over the required amount (which IIRC was 0.9ml when I worked it out).

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:10 am

steve_flack wrote:I use a ml in 500ml which I think is a tad over the required amount (which IIRC was 0.9ml when I worked it out).
Look's good enough for me Steve. Cheers

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm

I used Star San last night for the first time to sanitise 6 cornies when kegging what a friggin nightmare never seen so much friggin foam :evil: .I had to rinds the foam out with kettles of boiling water even this took a few rinses as the foam was all the way to the top of the cornies. I will go back to iodophor for keg sanitising & use star san for light duties in a spray bottle :shock:

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:47 pm

I never used to rinse it out as apparently you don't have to. As it happens I now use peracetic acid for my kegs/bottles and save the starsan for my fermenter as I have some copper tubing in the fermenter that doesn't like peracetic.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:30 pm

I have a little cleaning station built in my shed using flowjets with all the keg fittings attached to pump from keg to keg.I built it to speed things up as i clean & sterilise at least 7 kegs in a session but star san is defeating the purpose i built it for (speed & ease).Star San is still a good product i will use it to spray stuff & soak tubbing ect.But will use peracetic acid or iodophor for keg sanitising :D

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 pm

They do do a non-foaming version of Starsan called Sani-clean. Sadly, it's not sold in the UK AFAIK.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 am

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this one is a defo sticky candidate! I have some starsan coming from hop and grape and wanted to know how to use it, and now i do and then some. One thing though...what ever happened to JBK newsletters? and where can i find the old ones?

cheers

steve

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 am

EccentricDyslexic wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread but this one is a defo sticky candidate! I have some starsan coming from hop and grape and wanted to know how to use it, and now i do and then some. One thing though...what ever happened to JBK newsletters? and where can i find the old ones?

cheers

steve
Sticky it is!

Re the newsletter, the old ones are still here, and that page also explains why we stopped doing them (though finding the time to put them together was another reason).

One of the main purposes of the newsletter was to be keep in touch with members who don't visit that often and notifying them of interesing threads. Twitter is pretty well designed for doing that, so I doubt if a full blooded newsletter will return, sadly.

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

theratroom

Post by theratroom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 am

The link to the interview with charlie talley doesn't work is there anywhere else I can read or listen to it I would be interested
Thanks

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 pm

theratroom wrote:The link to the interview with charlie talley doesn't work is there anywhere else I can read or listen to it I would be interested
Thanks
The newsletters that Chris contributed to have been removed until I get round to editing out his contribution to them. Sorry!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

theratroom

Post by theratroom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Ok thanks Jim