Using Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Using Starsan

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:46 pm

That's a good reminder to all of us not to get complacent. As it happens, I was thinking about my procedures yesterday so I got around to testing my Starsan solution (2.45 so OK). I use Starsan each brew day but like to have a good clean with bleach solution/oxi as appropriate every few months when I also look at my plastic FVs and work out if I should replace them.

My no-chill cube is stored with a few litres of bleach solution. If I'm not happy with the bleachy smell after a few rinses I use a bit of crushed campden tablet in the final rinse.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:50 pm

[My no-chill cube is stored with a few litres of bleach solution. If I'm not happy with the bleachy smell after a few rinses I use a bit of crushed campden tablet in the final rinse.[/quote]

Why didn't I think of that?? #-o

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Well, it's probably just the air in the cube producing the smell but I like to clear it anyway.

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, I am always happier when I cant smell bleach
I hate the stuff :(

timbo41
Under the Table
Location: nr two big USAFE bases. youll HAVE TO SHOUT! brandon suffolk

Post by timbo41 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:16 pm

I like the idea of a deep clean every few brews...but I've always had a problem with bleach. I'd like to use iodine but don't really know where to get hold of it . Never seen it in the local boots pharmacy, is it somethinng that has to be cleared by the pharmacist? And in what percentages please
Just like trying new ideas!

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:04 pm

If you want to use Iodine then as ask your Pharmacy for "Videne Antiseptic Solution" (not the alcohol-based surgical scrub). Dilute using 1.25-2.5ml/litre. I used this before switching to Starsan which foams better. They're both dirt cheap as so little is needed. Videne lasts years, Starsan has no expiration date I believe.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/videne-a ... on/prd-q8g

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:07 am

RabMaxwell wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm
I used Star San last night for the first time to sanitise 6 cornies when kegging what a friggin nightmare never seen so much friggin foam :evil: .I had to rinds the foam out with kettles of boiling water even this took a few rinses as the foam was all the way to the top of the cornies. I will go back to iodophor for keg sanitising & use star san for light duties in a spray bottle :shock:
As you've probably seen from other parts you don't need to rinse out the start san!

Wozboy
Steady Drinker

Post by Wozboy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:08 am

Wozboy wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:07 am
RabMaxwell wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm
I used Star San last night for the first time to sanitise 6 cornies when kegging what a friggin nightmare never seen so much friggin foam :evil: .I had to rinds the foam out with kettles of boiling water even this took a few rinses as the foam was all the way to the top of the cornies. I will go back to iodophor for keg sanitising & use star san for light duties in a spray bottle :shock:
As you've probably seen from other parts you don't need to rinse out the start san!
Other posts, predictive text aaarrrgghh!

vacant

Post by vacant » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:51 am

Just an update to my 2015(!) post:

I ordered Videne from that link but they wouldn't supply it (unless you lie about the purpose). However I got some from Weldricks no questions asked last June.

Looking at both sites, they both have supply problems. Glad I've got a virtually full bottle (and some "Start san" left :wink: )

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:35 am

You can have mine, I was not impressed with it.

ozroger
Steady Drinker

Post by ozroger » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:40 pm

I got a link the other day to an interesting piece put together by the makers of Starsan (and other brew-related chemicals):

https://fivestarchemicals.com/interacti ... %3D.VZpUmw

In this is a statement which caused me (initially) to sit up & take notice:
Starsan life.jpg
Starsan life.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 3135 times

After thinking about it, and bearing in mind the experiences and practices of lots of brewers here, I came to the conclusion that the company's lawyers wrote that part!

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:14 am

More likely it was their accounts department that wrote that =D>
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:43 am

IPA wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:14 am
More likely it was their accounts department that wrote that =D>
Yes , same with Salifert alkalinity test kit instruction not to return any unused reagent in the syringe back into the bottle .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill