New No Rinse Cleaner/Steriliser Becoming Available

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
EasyBrew

New No Rinse Cleaner/Steriliser Becoming Available

Post by EasyBrew » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Hi All

Just to you let know that Brupaks have just brought out a new no rinse cleaner/steriliser. This is all the info I have now:
CHEMIPRO OXI - at last a genuine no-rinse cleaner/steriliser. Cleans and sterilises all brewing equipment with oxygen - vessels just need draining before use. TOTALLY ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY! Available in 500g and 2kg tubs.
500g pot will be £4.95 and 2k tub will be £12.95.

As soon as I have some in stock I will let you know what it's like.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:14 pm

This is just what I've been looking for for ages! 8)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:03 pm

Hello all i have just looked up brupaks web site to see if they have any info on there new product. My god they are still working on constructing there new web site that must be a couple of years they have been at it. :roll: Wonder if this stuff will be good for cornies

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:18 pm

DaaB wrote:Can you let us know the dillution ratio too please?
4g/L warm water, 2-5 min contact time. Use for LIGHT CLEANING only. :wink:

http://www.hopshopuk.com/cgi-bin/browse ... p=cleaners

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:56 am

Hiya's. I got some of this a few months ago and it seems pretty good. I got it at Brouwland, where for you guys in the UK it would be pretty cheap (€12.95 as opposed to $12.95 for 2kg) . It feels like there's a residue on stuff after using it, as it all feels a bit slippy, but I guess it's clean and safe residue :)

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:40 am

Scooby wrote:

A euphemism for "It doesn't work" ? :wink:

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:03 pm

I've used this for the last four batches I've done, and have had no ill effects. The slipperyness is a bit like.. lemme think... If you ever used neat bleach and a sponge on something without gloves, you get that kinda slippy finger thing, like you have no fingerprints or something? :D Bad description maybe, but the slipperyness is not like holding a bunch of eels or something :) A "slickness" may be a better word. I have to admit that I'd still rinse with boiled water on things like bottles though, but maybe I don't need to.

We've filled a fermentation bucket with the stuff for sanitising bits and bobs. about a teaspoon per litre. It fizzes away gently and things do feel clean. I've been using VWP for heavy cleaning, but have been using this as the main sanitiser. After reading this forum though, I think I'll be looking at alternatives to VWP for heavy cleaning. I'm still a beginner :)

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:17 pm

DaaB wrote:I rinse all my equipment with cold water (or left over beach solution if I have any) straight after use and give them a wipe over with a microfiber cloth, this is normaly enough to get everything visably clean. In most cases I would think this new product is fine....not to sure I like the sound of a slippery residue though, I guess i'll have to find out about it for myself :?
I think this product sounds fine If you follow a regime that leaves your equipment 'clean' after use as DaaB does, for the occasional heavy duty cleaning revert to the tried and tested.

As person who lives in a hard water area I can understand the 'slippery' description as when washing and shaving in soft water you get that not able to rinse slippery feeling :D

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Scooby wrote:As person who lives in a hard water area I can understand the 'slippery' description as when washing and shaving in soft water you get that not able to rinse slippery feeling :D
That's a point :D We have very soft water here, so that may be part of it!

tribs

Post by tribs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:44 am

Scooby wrote:

So this is not a steriliser/sanitiser. It is for cleaning only. Sounds like oxiclean to me (without the perfume crystals). Might be the better choice for cleaning cornies etc. though

tribs

Post by tribs » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Well maybe I was wrong. It just seems to good to be true. If it is a no rinse cleaner and steriliser, then I'm sure its going to be a big seller.

Theres not much info available at the moment though.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:10 pm

No rinse cleaner ?

flap, flap, oink, oink :lol:
Dan!

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 pm

DaaB wrote:
I was listening to the guy from 5 star chemicals the other day, he was saying that Star San would also clean to a certain extent. Shame it's not officialy available here but there's a problem importing it i'm told. (I imagine the UK online outlets that are selling it will soon have to remove it from their websites).
All my research regarding cleaners/sanitisers keep coming up with PBW and Star-san, has any one used them, and are they as good as some say :?:

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:08 am

tribs wrote:It just seems to good to be true. If it is a no rinse cleaner and steriliser, then I'm sure its going to be a big seller.
It better be a sanitiser too, or I'm in big trouble! :D We used only this stuff for the last two small batches (made last november and drank em all over the past couple of weeks), and they were grand. No green s*** floating in the big batch we made a week ago using just this as the sanitiser either. Fingers crossed ;)

Oh, I know it says light cleaning, but it seemed to do a reasonable job getting krausen scum off the sides of a carboy for me over the weekend after maybe 30+ mins soaking.

I still rinse though as I'm not very trusting :)

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 am

Scooby wrote: All my research regarding cleaners/sanitisers keep coming up with PBW and Star-san, has any one used them, and are they as good as some say :?:
I've used both. They are both great. PBW is similar to oxyclean only better (I guess Chemipro Oxi is similar). Removes almost all sticky stuff from anything.

StarSan is good stuff but as it's 50% phosphoric acid it's problematic from an international shipping point of view. There's two versions - a foaming (StarSan)and non-foaming(SaniClean). The foaming is better for vessels as the foam clings and keeps sanitising so you don;t actually need to have the item immersed the whole time. The non-foaming is for using with pumps (foaming would be bad). The foaming version requires a lower dose and a lower contact time.

I got mine from B3 in the states. Many stores won't ship it here and say so on their website. B3 don't say that but maybe they're more wary now as well.