Peracetic acid

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Dr.Evil

Re: Peracetic acid

Post by Dr.Evil » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Peracetic acid is great to have as the nuclear option. I work as a research scientist in the cleaning/disinfection area and in our tests, peracids are the one thing apart from high-temp autoclaving that consistently kill *everything* very quickly. Probably overkill for every day use, but handy for problem repeat-infections. Only issue (as Aleman has said in an earlier post) is that the liquid solutions don't keep that well. We keep our samples in the fridge and check the the active oxygen concentration by titration before use. Ambient temperature storage sees a gentle but steady decay in activity with time. Probably best to store in the fridge if poss and use reasonably quickly (a few months) after purchase. An alternative is to use a stable powder-precursor system (eg. http://tinyurl.com/ydvqnpr) Much more expensive however.

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 am

Is there any relatively easy way to check that my pre-diluted peracetic acid will still be effective after dilution as it is about 3 months old and I have only just read on here that it would have helped to have kept it in the fridge.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:16 am

I personally wouldn't use three month old peracetic acid, even one marked as "Stabilised".

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply, looks like I need to change to some other no rinse sterilizer.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Starsan!

palmso

Post by palmso » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:10 am

Good comment. Even new glass may not be free of dust and a prerinse with sanitizer is essential. Dust particles may not be sterile.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

dogchillibilly wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 am
Having given up trying to get hold of starsan in the uk
Star san is available to buy from loads of places in the uk. Cannot see why you are having problems getting hold of it??

Haha just read the OG post, it was from 2010 maybe it was not for sale then?

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Ha yes, I suppose the old thread is new to a new member though. It is quite interesting to be reminded how our more pro-active retailers have brought things on over the years, starsan (amongst other things) was indeed hard to find in the UK back then.

But whilst starsan is incredibly convenient and no-rinse, and therefore very useful, it is not in the same league as things like peracetic acid (or IMO Bleach etc) when it comes to pure disinfecting power. Since the old OP, questions have also arisen as to starsan's level of effectiveness on wild yeast, too.
Kev