Bottle brush that fits beer bottles

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
beerlover1983

Bottle brush that fits beer bottles

Post by beerlover1983 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Sound like a odd question but i have the youngs bottle brush and while its good for wine bottles i nearly had to smash a beer bottle at the weekend to get the dam thing out the neck.

Can anyone tell me if there is a bottle brush that actually fits a beer bottle i dont want to have to start trimming it as surely is should be fit for the job its sold.

jimp2003

Re: Bottle brush that fits beer bottles

Post by jimp2003 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I had the same problem. I had to hammer the metal end of the brush to even get the thing into the bottle!

My favourite one is from Wilkos. It is not part of the homebrew kit they sell but you can find it near the mops and buckets. It is long enough for a pint bottle and has a plastic handle which makes it a lot easier on your hands if you are cleaning lots of bottles.

kane

Post by kane » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I also have the Young's one (i have found that if you bend over the top into a loop, it still fits into the bottom of the bottles but now has something to try and pull it back out with, but I agree it isnt suitable for beer bottles at all).

Is this the one jimp?

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/babyway/li ... pwjw%3D%3D

Can't seem to find any others.

staplefordbill

Post by staplefordbill » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 pm

+1 Wilkos. Mine's about 90p. I think it's intending for cleaning baby bottles but it's a perfect fit for beer bottles. They're not especially sturdy but at that price you can use them for a couple of months then chuck them away and get a new one.

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am

Rinse bottles out as soon as you empty them, you won't need a brush then.

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 am

Kane - that brush is different to the one I got. I can't see it on their website but it is blue and is not described for cleaning baby bottles specifically

dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by dean_wales » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi guys,

On the topic of bottle brushes. I have always thought that the only part of my bottles that needs a good brushing is the bottom. But the end of the bottle brush has very few bristles and is effectively a bald spot!

If bottles do get left dirty I soak bottles in VWP now so that scrubbing isnt really needed.

Anyone know of any brushed with bristles pointing down directly at the end?

Thanks,

Dean.
Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

jimp2003

Post by jimp2003 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:36 pm

What you need Dean is a Crud Stick as developed by Naich (Patent Pending) 8)

See here: CRUD STICK

I made one of these myself when I inherited a load of old dirty bottles and it worked a treat.

Jim

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Runwell-Steve wrote:Rinse bottles out as soon as you empty them, you won't need a brush then.
If they don't dry properly and anything gets in them they go bad again though. I spent longer washing bottles on Saturday than I did on syphoning, batch priming, and bottling.

Maltmaniac

Post by Maltmaniac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:53 pm

I have it on good authority that rice will clear a good deal of crud from any container when agitated, then sanitise as normal. I agree that the best practice is cleaning it soon after the contents are poured as this removes most of the bacteria grazing lands without effort. No food means minimal life forms. Store and then sanitise as usual with whatever solution you prefer.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am

The bottle version is the one I have used very successfully. Although after 6 years I suspect the problem in this thread has gone away.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm with GrowlingDogBeer if you rinse them out thoroughly immediately after emptying them you don't need a brush. It only takes a second or two and saves a lot of faffing about later.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Old thread and I know most keg not bottle, but I'm obsessional about clean bottles (always rinse immediately after pouring too). Have used a couple of cheap bottle brushes as above.

Recently thought I'd got a great new brush until it had obviously scored a bottle base and created a potential fracture line, which cracked half the base off and leaked the porter onto my neighbour's garage floor!

Looked at silicone non scratch brushes on Amazon; like the idea of cleaning it in dishwasher if needed, but unsure whether they will fit in beer bottle then clean said bottle effectively. Apart from the flapping false chamois £15 one (? how durable from reviews) has anyone solved this issue??

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:40 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Apart from the flapping false chamois £15 one (? how durable from reviews) has anyone solved this issue??
No.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:06 pm

orlando wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:40 pm
Kingfisher4 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:35 pm
Apart from the flapping false chamois £15 one (? how durable from reviews) has anyone solved this issue??
No.
Thanks. Succinct 😊