Cleaning/using a plate chiller 'easily'?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
greenxpaddy

Re: Cleaning/using a plate chiller 'easily'?

Post by greenxpaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:14 am

Check in. Well after about 10 oxi clean soaks and 6-7 caustic soaks I was getting there. Not much brown residue but still flecks of crap coming out on a blast rinse with the hose. But much less than previously.

So hooked up to the copper and pump and gave the whole system a 70c oxyclean recirculation for 20mins. Very dirty still so drained rinsed and repeat. A lot better but still particles coming out.

Antiformin 1% at 75c next recirculated for twenty minutes. Lots more brown taint. Drained and rinsed.

A hose blast still bringing out the odd fleck of residue so into the oven. 220c for 90 mins. Then while hot tipped water in to steam the unit.

Hose blast out and I think we are nearly there. Still occasional spec but bludy hell it might be clean. So 2%antiformin in and sealed until brew day....

Next brew day I'll attack it properly before it sets on the plates

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:48 am

20 minute recirc with HOT PBW . . . should really shift any organic debris welded to the plates . . .This stuff is the Chuck Norris of Oxicleaners

Power flush with a hose, and see what comes out . . . repeat with PBW

Don't let it build up again :twisted:

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Aleman wrote:20 minute recirc with HOT PBW . . . should really shift any organic debris welded to the plates . . .This stuff is the Chuck Norris of Oxicleaners

Power flush with a hose, and see what comes out . . . repeat with PBW

Don't let it build up again :twisted:
What actually is in PBW that is any better than pure sodium percarbonate? (I have very soft water)

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:07 pm

sodium metasilicate, sodium carbonate, and a sequesterant (EDTA) . . . at least that is what is known.

I used to think that Hot Caustic was the absolute bees knees for cleaning organic debris . . . Hot PBW is in a different league.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Crud is probably not the best to have in.. But the most I have ever done is oxyclean once and afaik there are zero off flavours I can pick up on in my beers and they all scored pretty well at the nationals with no off flavours picked up.

Infection risk? If you recirculate during the last 15 mins of the boil then everything which was once alive will be dead.

In saying that I am going to try out some of my home made pbw and see what comes out.

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:14 pm

196osh wrote:Crud is probably not the best to have in.. But the most I have ever done is oxyclean once and afaik there are zero off flavours I can pick up on in my beers and they all scored pretty well at the nationals with no off flavours picked up.

Infection risk? If you recirculate during the last 15 mins of the boil then everything which was once alive will be dead.

In saying that I am going to try out some of my home made pbw and see what comes out.
Fish is usually dead when you buy it, but I wouldn't want one in my beer [-X
Best wishes

Dave

196osh

Post by 196osh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Dave S wrote:
196osh wrote:Crud is probably not the best to have in.. But the most I have ever done is oxyclean once and afaik there are zero off flavours I can pick up on in my beers and they all scored pretty well at the nationals with no off flavours picked up.

Fish is usually dead when you buy it, but I wouldn't want one in my beer [-X
Yeah... But if it is 100% undetectable and poses no infection risk then firing a bunch of pbw into it seems a bit overkill...

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:43 am

196osh wrote:Yeah... But if it is 100% undetectable and poses no infection risk then firing a bunch of pbw into it seems a bit overkill...
It's not so much just that, dirty plates will encourage more deposition of organics . . . which will lead to blockages and ineffective cooling . . . keeping the plates as clean as possible (while not spending the time between brews just cleaning the chiller) really is good practice

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am

Aleman wrote:
196osh wrote:Yeah... But if it is 100% undetectable and poses no infection risk then firing a bunch of pbw into it seems a bit overkill...
It's not so much just that, dirty plates will encourage more deposition of organics . . . which will lead to blockages and ineffective cooling . . . keeping the plates as clean as possible (while not spending the time between brews just cleaning the chiller) really is good practice
I thought about switching to a plate chiller, but decided to stick with the IC. It might not be as efficient, but it's a hell of a lot less hassle.
Best wishes

Dave

greenxpaddy

Post by greenxpaddy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:32 am

Dave S wrote:
Aleman wrote:
I thought about switching to a plate chiller, but decided to stick with the IC. It might not be as efficient, but it's a hell of a lot less hassle.
I'd second that but at a certain size batch IC cooling is just not an option. Regarding crud why ever clean your boiler out? If its all disinfected by boiling anyway what does it matter? (I'm joking)

Dave S

Post by Dave S » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:26 pm

greenxpaddy wrote:
Dave S wrote:
I'd second that but at a certain size batch IC cooling is just not an option. Regarding crud why ever clean your boiler out? If its all disinfected by boiling anyway what does it matter? (I'm joking)
Yes, if I ever get to 50l + brews I'll probably need to look at that.
Best wishes

Dave