How do you sterilise/clean?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Rusticus
Steady Drinker

Re: How do you sterilise/clean?

Post by Rusticus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 pm

I like to ring the changes, sometimes oxy or thin bleach rinsed with metabisulphate or occasionally caustic soda for cleaning.
Starsan for sanitising anything post boil.

Starsan mixed in a 1 litre spray bottle, soft water here so seems to keep ok.

Videne is another sanitiser that no-one seems to have mentioned, is that old hat now?
Russell.

Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Mashman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Nope. I use Videne, cheap and effective, + starsan in a spray bottle.

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 am

Rusticus wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:33 pm
Videne is another sanitiser that no-one seems to have mentioned, is that old hat now?
Used in hospitals a lot had some on my knob last time I was in. Not sure what that had to do with an ingrowing toenail but you don't argue do you?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am

For cleaning I use PBW. After a year of using Oxi in various forms I found I was regularly getting a film or other crud on equipment if left to soak in it. I switched to PBW, which doesn't have the same issue but is expensive. Having said that it's very effective at low doses so you can be very frugal with it.

Bulk sanitiser for me is Iodophor (currently IO Star but you can't but since I got my last bottle the last supplier in the country has stopped carrying it, so I'll switch to Videne when done), and I keep a spray bottle of made up Star San around (made up with deionised water for stability) for sanitising sampling kit and bottles.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:12 am

Yep, unfragranced oxi to clean, and Star San (or the Malt Miller's £1 cheaper home branded version) to sanitise.

Just a word of warning about oxi. I've had two occasions where I've had some sort of carbonate residue form on the surface of EVERYTHING in soak at the time. You really want to avoid that! It may depend on your water a little. The only way to get it off was with an acidic bath of stronger-than-usual star san. I had only left the oxi soak for 40-50 mins, with around a scoop a gallon. I have now reduced that to a maximum of 3 scoops in a 5 gallon bucket, and not had a problem since. It still cleans well.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Jocky wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am
For cleaning I use PBW. After a year of using Oxi in various forms I found I was regularly getting a film or other crud on equipment if left to soak in it. I switched to PBW, which doesn't have the same issue but is expensive. Having said that it's very effective at low doses so you can be very frugal with it.
In your experience, what is the minimum g/l you can get away with?

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:33 pm

orlando wrote:Used in hospitals a lot had some on my knob last time I was in. Not sure what that had to do with an ingrowing toenail but you don't argue do you?
:shock: Mind bleach please.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm
Jocky wrote:
I've used as low as 20g in 25L of hot water ... for CIP with a pump you could go lower

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Rhodesy wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 pm
Jocky wrote:
It depends upon the application, but for light cleaning 3 grams per litre of water seems plenty if you are also wiping/scrubbing things to remove soiling.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks, probably will pick a tub up the next time I put an order in for some fresh supplies.