Rotokeg...confused re sterilising

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Hector

Rotokeg...confused re sterilising

Post by Hector » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Im very new to all of this and have purchased a Rotokeg. The sterilising instructions say
"A homebrew cleaner and steriliser is recommended". Leave in for 24 hours.

Ok, so fill rotokeg, with cap off....with water with VMP in it?

Now the cap bit is scaring me...it says I cannot use a combo of soap...sodium meta bisulphate or detergents.

I don't want to kill my rotokeg....what do you guys recommend? I have ordered some Vilene but ist will take a wee while to get here.
Thanks for any help
Jackie

Hector

Re: Rotokeg...confused re sterilising

Post by Hector » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 am

Any advice, especially on sterilising cap/near valve would be appreciated as need to keg a FV of stout! says to sterilise keg for 24 hours before using first time......but not sure how to sterilise cap safely.

yojimbo
Piss Artist

Post by yojimbo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:45 am

I use VWP and chuck the cap in to sterilize for 15 min never had any problems witth the cap been doing that since they came out. Maybe just the brass s30 valves may get damaged if exposed to long to the sterilizer.
Did yer like that?

Hector

Post by Hector » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 pm

Thank you so much Yojimbo, much appreciated. It says sterilise for 24 hours for first use...surprised! I'll do that with barrel but not cap, as you mention. thanks for replying, I'll keg it in the morning and sterilise barrel overnight.
Jackie

yojimbo
Piss Artist

Post by yojimbo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:36 am

I tend to sterilize all the time for 24 hours never had to chuck a batch due to infection fingers crossed ive not jinxed myself now. I am bit ocd on cleaning lol.
Did yer like that?