Starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Greatcthulhu

Starsan

Post by Greatcthulhu » Thu May 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi. Just a couple of questions about Starsan.

When I mix it with tap water it comes out slightly milky- like putting a small amount of milk in a glass of water. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this means that the water is too acidic and it will not work, although I can't see anything about this on the instructions. Is this right?

Secondly, how long does it need to be in contact with the item being sterilized? Do I just pour it in the bottle and out again, or do I need to leave it for a period of time?

Cheers

mbarn
Piss Artist

Starsan

Post by mbarn » Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Milky usually means it's reacted with the water or is no longer effective. Only a PH test can tell you for sure.

I use a cheap water spray bottle, and cheap bottled water. That way you get good coverage without using a tonne.
Takes 2 mins, but I always leave for 10 and pour off any excess.

I would bag up the bottle of concentrate. Just residue on a syringe from handling melted the paint on one of my shelves!
Using Tapatalk

GrowlingDogBeer
Even further under the Table

Re: Starsan

Post by GrowlingDogBeer » Thu May 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I mix starsan with Tesco Ashbeck water. It's only £1 for 5 litres. My tap water is rubbish for starsan.

Maysie

Post by Maysie » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Another vote for Tescos Ashbeck from me too.
I live in a hard water area and it makes the Starsan milky too, which was my problem with the 1st batch I made. I now mix it in 2 litre bottles which are very cheap and takes the risk away.
I also use a cheap spray bottle for an instant squirt where needed. Pour from the bottle and swill around for larger things like the FV which can then be poured into the bottle rinsed and caps.

Starsan is great stuff!

LeeH
Under the Table

Starsan

Post by LeeH » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm sure Mr Starsan said it only needs a contact time of seconds. The time quoted is a minimum they have to quote by law.
Last edited by LeeH on Fri May 09, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

crimsongarlic
Steady Drinker

Post by crimsongarlic » Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 pm

LeeH wrote:I'm sure Mr Starsan said it only needs a contact time of seconds. The time quoted is a minimum the have to quote by law.
Pleased to hear that, I can only usually wait for about 30 seconds before getting bored. If it was recommended to leave for 30 mins I'd happily do that but 2 minutes seems such a long time when you're waiting!

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 am

What you have to remember is, when you pour out the bulk of it from your bottle, there will be some clung to the surface. So contact time won't have finished instantly.

I just shake up the star san I left in the bottle before storage, pour and fill, the foam gets forced out the top.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Newbrew1

Post by Newbrew1 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:01 pm

I use starsan and it is dilution of 8ml to 5litres of ashbeck water, it will last you ages. Also the contact time at this dilution is two minutes. Also if you go on eBay you can get some litmus paper in small packets which you dip in your solution and test it against a small chart to check ph you get 50 or100 pieces in a book of paper. I got 2 books cost £1.29 will last years

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Nightmare... Bad news, I may end up loosing the Adnams yeast I've just harvested. Good news is, I might need to buy another keg! How long do you all keep the Tesco water with starsan? I once read it only lasts 3 weeks

Greatcthulhu

Post by Greatcthulhu » Fri May 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Cheers for the prompt replies. You can always rely on this forum to get the answer. looks like cheap bottled water it is then.

Newbrew1

Post by Newbrew1 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:13 pm

My starsan solution in ashbeck water is 3months old and the ph is still the same . If it changes you just add 1ml at a time until the ph reaches the correct colour on the ph chart but if the water turns cloudy which it can do over a period of time you just buy another £1 bottle of ashbeck water and add 8ml of starsan and your away again

Newbrew1

Post by Newbrew1 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Ps when you use the starsan solution shake it around and pour out the liquid you may have some foam but don't worry. You can leave the foam it will not harm you brew ( as Luke skylager said May the foam be with you ) :lol:

Jules T

Post by Jules T » Fri May 09, 2014 8:03 pm

I use R O water which you can get from your local tropical fish shop. 25 litres cost me about £4. I've always just used a cheap plastic spray bottle and never left it for more than 5-10 seconds contact. Never had an infection so far.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Fri May 09, 2014 8:42 pm

FYI 8ml is 1/4 us oz as marked in the bottle. Keeps thinks simple.

gibbiem

Post by gibbiem » Fri May 09, 2014 9:11 pm

Ah nice one, will do that then