what sanitation and steriliser to use helo please

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
newtonsshed

what sanitation and steriliser to use helo please

Post by newtonsshed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:29 pm

I've previously just used vwp for all my cleaning. My kit has been sat around unused for some time and I want start using it again. I have a mix of beer kegs for the pots, copper piping looking to replace as has verdigris) with brass fittings plate chiller also has verdigris , a solar project pump and plastic fvs and corneys what cleaner can Î use to give it all a good clean and sterile. I'm also looking to upgrade to stainless steel fitting and plastic barrier pipe and either plastic or or brass fittings. Could I get star stan and oxi or just one or the other not sure of the difference and if does the same, but I think some say not to use on soft metal so confused on what to use to clean everything? Thanks Andy

Will12283
Steady Drinker

Re: what sanitation and steriliser to use helo please

Post by Will12283 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I use oxy clean (generally found on the washing powder aisle) to clean then sanitise with star san
Using Tapatalk

Middo

Post by Middo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:21 am

Same here. I used to use VWP but have heard it doesn't get along very well with stainless steel so I now only use oxyclean or soda crystals (oxyclean for soaking parts in and cleaning out barrels and cornies and soda crystals in place of washing up liquid for cleaning up at the end of a brew day).

And I only ever use Star San for sanitising. I've also heard you shouldn't use it on soft metal but it only takes 30-60 secs to sanitise a surface so as long as you sanitise immediately before use then it shouldn't be a problem. I use it on my copper immersion chiller all the time and I can't see any signs of damage.

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:17 am

I find star-san brings up copper nice and shiny after a bit of a soak. I use 'old' star-san and tip it after use.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am

Will12283 wrote:I use oxy clean (generally found on the washing powder aisle) to clean then sanitise with star san
This.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jonnyconga
Piss Artist

Post by Jonnyconga » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:27 pm

I second/ third using a combo of vwp or oxy then star San. Star San is awesome.

Supercooper

Post by Supercooper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Hot alkaline wash (pbw or oxi or similar) then acid rinse ( star San etc). It's the industry standard.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:14 pm

Oxi is the best stuff I've used on brewing equipment.

Starsan and a pump spray bottle!! Job done!

mackem72

Post by mackem72 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Will12283 wrote:I use oxy clean (generally found on the washing powder aisle) to clean then sanitise with star san

So glad someone has put that :D

Kept on seeing people talk bout oxy clean but whenever i looked at shops could only see the one associated with washing powder, didnt want to use that in case it was wrong one :)