My sanitation process - any comments/tips?

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
SquireKnott

My sanitation process - any comments/tips?

Post by SquireKnott » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:26 am

I've done about 10 kit brews now with no infection problems so far but my gear is starting to hum.

I scrub my just used FV with soapy water after bottling, rinse well then spray with Videne and leave with lid on for bottling my next batch in 2 to 3 weeks.

My bottles I swill after drinking then stick them in the dishwasher with the rest of the household stuff then bag them up until bottling day.
This removes some labels but not others and other bottles I use and re-use with partial labels on - what problems could the labels cause?

Bottling day, I give the previously videned FV a swill and then fill it with warm water and a Videne bottle cap full of Videne - is this too much? What I read suggests it is but it seems so little?

Soak the bottles in this FV a few minutes then let them drain in the empty Videne sprayed dishwasher racks.

Then repeat.

As I said, no problems so far but, is this through luck rather than judgement? :mrgreen:

cumbrianwolf

Re: My sanitation process - any comments/tips?

Post by cumbrianwolf » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:43 am

The smell of previous brews is an almost impossible tasks to eliminate, I have used copious amounts of sodium bicarbonate (baking powder) in warm water and leave it over night. This helps but is by no means perfect.
I personally would not scrub any vessel be it plastic or metal as you are creating micro gouges that can harbour more smells and nasties, preferably soak and wipe. I have found that the taints do not seem to impart any of flavours to any delicate beer that I have produced so as long you clean and sterilise I would not overly worry about it.