VWP Steriliser

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
joeskidmore

VWP Steriliser

Post by joeskidmore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:11 pm

If I made a solution of VWP up in a spare plastic 30l fermenter, how long could I realistically continue to use it to sterilise my kit before it was no longer effective?

At the moment I'm making up fresh batches of VWP every brew day and seem to be going through a 400g tub pretty quickly.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: VWP Steriliser

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, the first thing is, vwp is really sodium hydroxide ( cleaner) and chlorine (the killer). As most peeps know chlorine gases off, but this depends on the temp as to how quick it does this.
But befor I forget, I'm asuming that your not making up 5 gallons at a time, when I used it. I only made up 2-3 lt and used a cloth to rub the stuff around, then put the lid on and gave it a shake, left it for some time and then emptied it and rinsed twice with water

My advice is change to a cheaper cleaner and a sanitzer, oxi from the pound shop is ok, but it does lack in the active cleaning stuff. I have noticed how soapy/slimy my hands get using the roughly same amount of diffent brands, also good old washing soda works just as well but there's no oxi in it so you have to use a cloth to wash it around. As before rinse once to get rid of 99% the cleaner, then rinse again to wash the last of it away. Then when your just about ready to use the cleaned stuff dip/spray with starsan.

Starsan is the sanitizer that most peeps use, as it's no rinse.

Ps I still have a tub of vwp, I only really use it for really tuff stuff
And one last thing, vwp is not that good to stainless steel if you leave it to long or make it to strong, crystals form once the solution cools. So wash and rinse.

I hope this helps.
Maybe someone else will come along soon and give there idea.

Edit: I have been thinking a bit more about this, vwp precipitates crystals and they stick to anything, so if you store some in a clear pet bottle and leave it for some time, when you empty the it you will see the white crystals on the sides. so best only make up what you need.
To Busy To Add,

joeskidmore

Post by joeskidmore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm

Cheers for the response WD.

I have generally been making about 20l and have a spare fermenter I keep all my equipment soaking in throughout the brew day - as well as transferring the whole amount between vessels when needed.

I have some Oxy which I use for my kegs but they give off a considerable amount of gas when I use them with warm/hot water that I stuck with the VWP. I have read elsewhere that it doesn't like stainless and at the moment I have very little stainless to worry about. I'd like to get my hands on some peracedic (sp?) acid that proper breweries use but at the moment I'm kinda stuck with what I have.

I've also recently gotten some StarSan so will be using that as you've mentioned as I really want to be serious about my cleanliness.

As you said, I will stick to making it up on each brew day to ensure its effectiveness - perhaps I'll start using smaller quantities though...what with purse strings tightening and all.

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:45 pm

In answer to the original question I would not rely on it sterilising anything after more than 24 hours.

bungle666

Post by bungle666 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:13 pm

cheap thin bleach....

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore ... ct/1104797

29P/Bottle, will do around 4, 5 gallon fermenters per bottle, and costs bugger all!!

add a quarter bottle, fill to top with HOT water, leave for about 30 mins, longer for heavily soiled stuff and i have NEVER experienced a problem with the stuff!!

HTH

Cheers

B..

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:32 pm

I also use the cheap bleach to do the fv's , never had a problem