storing clean bottles

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

storing clean bottles

Post by tourer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 pm

Greetings all, how long do you store all your clean and sterilised bottles before using them? I have a mountain of bottles which i want to clean/sterilise and put ready for use as and when.
many thanks

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: storing clean bottles

Post by Jocky » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Clean, drain, squirt in Star San from a trigger spray bottle, cap with plastic cap (available at malt Miller or the home brew shop), store.

Before use give it a shake, then take cap off, pour out starsan and bottle is ready for use.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm not sure how long mine will stand empty, but I think if they have a squirt of star san inside and a cap on they're going to be full again before any contamination becomes a problem. I've read that some people are quite happy to leave sealed sterilised bottles for a month or even longer.

James

jack_c

Post by jack_c » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:31 pm

I don't store mine sterilised, just clean, in one of those plastic storage things. When bottling, soak in starsan first.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks all for your responses/idea's. I think i'll wash/sterilise these bottles and cap them then when i'm ready to use them i'll wash off any dust and give them another blast of starsan and see how it goes.
Thanks again

Fuzzy-felt
Tippler

Post by Fuzzy-felt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:29 pm

I clean mine thoroughly, then then wrap some aluminium foil around the top to stop anything getting in, and then store in those big strong bags you get in ASDA etc for about 40p - you can get loads in. They're then ready for the StarSan treatment when required.

chris.laws.54943

Post by chris.laws.54943 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 pm

I clean and star San mine, but paranoia tells me to pop them all through the dishwasher on bottling day.......

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Sterilise with boiling water, allow to drain/dry and then cap.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Jocky wrote:Clean, drain, squirt in Star San from a trigger spray bottle, cap with plastic cap (available at malt Miller or the home brew shop), store.

Before use give it a shake, then take cap off, pour out starsan and bottle is ready for use.
+1

I initially used these translucent plastic reseal caps

but mine got brittle in a cold garage over winter and some split.

I got a load of these a while back.
They are identical to these £1.79 for 12

I got mine from China, can't remember who from .
They stay flexible and cope with starsan, boiling water etc.

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:26 pm

This is my bottle routine which has worked for me for numerous batches; after drinking make sure bottle is rinsed thoroughly then put in dishwasher in that day's wash , when I'm ready to bottle a batch clean the bottles in the dishwasher again then bottle & prime . My theory is that the bottle is too hot to touch out of the washer so can't be many nasties in there, as I said it's worked for me but be careful to rinse after each use and not let any crud remain

Beer O'Clock
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Beer O'Clock » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Jocky wrote:Clean, drain, squirt in Star San from a trigger spray bottle, cap with plastic cap (available at malt Miller or the home brew shop), store.

Yep. Exactly this =D>
I buy from The Malt Miller

There's Howard Hughes in blue suede shoes, smiling at the majorettes smoking Winston cigarettes. .

JamesF
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by JamesF » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:31 pm

The last couple of bottling runs I've done I haven't emptied the starsan out directly, but just put the bottle on the bottle tree and allowed it to run out. This seems to have the useful side-effect of causing the starsan to run over the outside of the necks of all the lower bottles before collecting in the bottom of the bottle tree.

James

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:01 am

Blackaddler wrote:Sterilise with boiling water, allow to drain/dry and then cap.

Glass can break if subjected to extreme temps to quickly.
To Busy To Add,