SS Chronical first clean

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
Dunlambert

SS Chronical first clean

Post by Dunlambert » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi I have just bought a 7 gallon SS Chronical and am waiting for delivery. I have been reading up about whats needed for the first clean. I says to use TSP for the initial clean then Star San to pasivate it. I have Star San but no TSP. Is there an alternative I can use to the TSP ? I have read people are using Oxi but they only ever mention using it to clean after use not as an initial cleaner if that makes sense :D

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: SS Chronical first clean

Post by Aleman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:34 pm

I used PBW, but in lieu of that I would use Oxi.

TSP isn't readily available in the UK.

I 'passivated' it with star san too

Dunlambert

Post by Dunlambert » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks Aleman, I just remembered I have the Grainfather cleaner would that be ok ? I think its supposed to be similar to PBW ?

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:19 pm

All you are doing with the first clean is removing the manufacturing residue, so Grease, grinding debris/residue, so pretty much anything that will shift that is suitable. (Elbow Grease and washing up liquid with a sponge for example . . . . With lots of rinsing ). Then they tell you to passivate it with phosphoric acid . . . so Star san will do, although stainless steel is self passivating so it's not really necessary, but doesn't hurt. . . . I didn't bother to soak it, but made up a strong solution AND WEARING GLOVES wiped that over the surface with another sponge. . . waited a bit and then rinsed it.