Woops! Way overdiluted starsan

The place to discuss all things about brewing hygiene!
ben9393

Woops! Way overdiluted starsan

Post by ben9393 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:32 pm

The fermentor that i have my brew in at the moment i only used 1/2 an ounce of starsan in 5 gallons and left everything i used soaking in there for 10 mins. Hoping the fact it was a brand new fermentor it should be ok and the beer is all good.

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Woops! Way overdiluted starsan

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Well you could always add a bit more star San, that's asuming you kept the liquid. Although most peeps use a spray bottle.

But the main thing is your FV and the beer inside. As you say brand new FV, well you don't know who's handled it with hands that have been everywhere and not washed for ages.
Well the guy who made star San , did a podcast on it and he said sanitation starts with good cleaning, "if you are sloppy on the cleaning then your last chance is your sanitizer."

So how good or how sloppy was you in cleaning the FV. ?
the only thing to do is, have a taste each time you rack it off/bottle it or do a SG in a trial jar. And see if you can taste anything unusual
To Busy To Add,

ben9393

Re: Woops! Way overdiluted starsan

Post by ben9393 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:35 pm

I only rinsed with water then sanitized i miss read the bulb on starsan bottle thought it was an ounce not half on there. It smells good and looks normal ill see what it tasted like in a few weeks when i start taking gravitt readings. It took off quick and had a nice vigorous ferment as its a high gravity beer. Im hoping the yeasties gor there first.

Was an accident but im sure it should turn out ok. Fingers crossed. Once this is done will be a scrub down with a cleaner some hot water rinse and then sanitize. I was just gonna sanitize this one as it was spotless but i managed to mess that up so its just luck now if it turns out ok.